Question

Network query - is iD mobile restricted compared to 3?

• 22 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

This is quite a technical query. A relative was in my house recently and noticed that his MVNO phone (on 1pmobile which is EE) got no signal while right next to a “real” EE phone. Swapped sims and the problem swapped. 

What I later discovered was that EE do not allow their MVNOs full unrestricted access to their entire spectrum. I think in this case the 1pmobile didn’t get the 800Mhz signal which was part of 5G, and there must be an EE 5G transmitter nearby. Hence the EE sim got great signal, the 1pmobile got nada.

My question is - does iD get restricted the same way on the 3 network? If I get an iD mobile sim will it get exactly the same signal strength and network as a genuine 3 sim in all areas?

thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @SrceVatreno no it isn’t restricted. You can check out our coverage here - Improve Mobile Coverage | Check Mobile Coverage | iD Mobile Network

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sadly, the online coverage checker is only a theoretical prediction of the likely coverage at any given location, based on computer models, along with a number of assumptions, etcetera.

The https://mastdata.com website has information about actual signal reception for many locations in the UK.

The iD coverage checker has the following small print, along with a 5G bias: 

Why iD Mobile?