Solved

NEW iphone 12 mini. battery capacity at 94%

• 18 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi. I purchased this iPhone 12 mini may 2021. It’s on contract and was a brand new device. I have been having numerous issues with the device, the main one being the battery life!! I have recently been finding the device crashing and freezing. I have since looked at the device’s battery health and battery’s maximum capacity. Currently it is 94%. Two days ago it was 97%. Is there anyway to regain full battery capacity? If not would this be covered under guarantee? If yes to guarantee cover how do I go about this? I’m forever having to charge the device. When off charge I’m lucky if the battery lasts 2-3 hours before losing power. Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by andewhite 19 November 2021, 01:00

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Letiziamaruzza,

I’ve got an iPhone 12 mini of a similar age and I’m currently on iOS 14.8.1. I have the following:

Setting > Battery > Battery Health > Maximum Capacity = 98%

If you’ve upgraded your iOS recently or are still using an older version that may influence this value, but the main factor affecting “Maximum Capacity” will be how you’re using your device.

If you want to get back to 100%, you’ll need a new battery. Using your device, the “Maximum Capacity” will only ever decrease.

If you’re charging to 100% of capacity, which only lasts 2-3 hours, the battery sounds faulty or you have an app or apps on your device that are power hungry.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

That’s fantastically helpful to know @andewhite. Thanks very much for sharing that.

Does this affect all iPhones do you know? Or just certain models?

Will

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Will - I believe all Li-ion batteries degrade (lose capacity) over time; one of the factors affecting the rate of degradation is the number of charging cycles.

The battery in a heavily device will obviously be recharged more frequently and will deteriorate faster than someone who’s using their device for just calls and messages, along with a little bit of browsing.

The type and quality of apps can also be a factor; some apps are known to be power hungry or sometimes app developers don’t get the power management aspects quite right.

Anyway, before I got my iPhone 12 mini, I was using an iPhone 7, which had a “Maximum Capacity” of 96% when I started using it; after around 3 years this had fallen to 84%, which meant I needed to recharge slightly more often.

For the scientists out there, the “Lithium ion battery degradation: what you need to know” article is an interesting read. 

Why iD Mobile?