new phone old sim

• 14 August 2023
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a new phone but I am using my old sim which works but I signed up for a new contract which is not being recognised by my mobile.

26 replies

Userlevel 1

Why can't I speak to someone???

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Why can't I speak to someone???

Unfortunately, iD Mobile don’t have a telephone support helpline @Greg Cooper

Forum members can’t look at your iD account, so it might be quicker to use iD live chat for assistance, or contact iD via Facebook Messenger, or X (Twitter) DM - the latter two usually get a response within an hour.

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays. 

I have lost my transaction code

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have lost my transaction code

Forum members can’t look at your iD account @Shereen zumari
Probably quicker to use iD online live chat for assistance, or contact iD via Facebook Messenger, or X (Twitter) DM - the latter two usually get a response within an hour.

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Greg Cooper 

Could you let us know a little more about your issue?

Have you upgraded or purchased a new iD Mobile plan?

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Shereen zumari 

Your transaction number can be found on the “Welcome to iD” email sent when your plan begins, do you have this?

If not, please let us know so we can get in touch and take a look.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Service user no. [REDACTED]?

Ref: [REDACTED]    ?

I got a new flip phone and used my old sim because I thought I had arranged for the same number even though they also sent a new sim. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Greg Cooper, if you bought your item(s) from iD Mobile, any new SIM will be inactive if your purchase was an upgrade.

Otherwise, the new SIM will be for a new connection, and the SIM will be supplied activated and ready to use.

Unfortunately, you can’t transfer a number from iD account to another iD account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Greg Cooper 

If you’ve purchased an upgrade a new SIM may be sent out just in case you need it, it doesn’t need to be used.

If you’ve purchased a new plan entirely you’ll be given a new mobile number as this would be separate to any existing plan. Numbers cannot be transferred between iD Mobile accounts.

If you’ve ordered a new plan instead of an upgrade, you may need to explore the option of a return, please let us know if you need assistance with this so we can get in touch.

Tom

Userlevel 1

I have transferred everything on to my new phone which is fine however, my old account where I pay £8 a month seems to be active and not  the new account that I signed up to which should be £29.99.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have transferred everything on to my new phone which is fine however, my old account where I pay £8 a month seems to be active and not  the new account that I signed up to which should be £29.99.

Hey @Greg Cooper, it sounds like you bought a new connection for £29.99/month and have a new iD account for this plan.

I guess until you tell iD Mobile to cancel your £8/month iD plan, you’ll continue paying the month line rental for this old iD account. 

This forum article might help in this situation.
🤞

Userlevel 1

Thanks but how do I do that as I can't talk to anybody?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Normally, you use the online iD live chat service @Greg Cooper

Userlevel 1

Live chat is a waste of time as it does not understand my problem.

I see that ID have charged me for both contracts on the number I have £8 and on the number I did not want £29.99. I went to Curry’s and spoke to a person, unfortunately he couldn’t help but it was nice to talk to an human being!! 

So what are my options? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Greg Cooper, if I’ve understood the state-of-play, you currently have two active iD accounts, but only want to keep the £29.99 account going forward?

If yes, and if you don’t want to keep the mobile number linked to the £8 account, then just tell iD Mobile you’d like to cancel the £8 account.

Can’t understand why any of the live chat agents wouldn’t be able to assist with this task?

Userlevel 1

Thanks but if I cancel my £8. Account it looks like I would have to have a new number which I don’t want.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks but if I cancel my £8. Account it looks like I would have to have a new number which I don’t want.

If the mobile number is important, unfortunately you’ve got limited options.

Option 1: 

1. Return your order, in the cooling off period you’ve got with the £29.99 account. 
  2. Call the iD telesales on 020 7139 1397 to discuss the upgrade options for your £8 account.

Option 2:

1. Get a PAC for your £8 account.
  2. Give the iD Mobile PAC from step 1) to PAYG service provider, for example: giffgaff, ASDA mobile,  EE PAYG, etcetera.
  3. Wait until the number you want to keep is working properly with your new service provider, chosen in step 2).
  4. Get a PAC from your new PAYG service provider.
  5. Give the PAC from step 4) to iD, to use with the £29.99 account you want to keep.

Not sure which of these will be quicker / easier.
🤞

Userlevel 1

Thanks but it seems so complicated, being an old git, it seems ridiculous that they just can't cancel the old contract and put the new one on instead.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks but it seems so complicated, being an old git, it seems ridiculous that they just can't cancel the old contract and put the new one on instead.

I’m thinking perhaps iD Mobile aren’t interested in making this an easy, straight forward process @Greg Cooper.

It sometimes feels like iD are more interested in selling new stuff, than helping their existing customers - maybe new is interesting, old is dull?

Anyway, when you connect to iD online live chat, you can type “talk to a person” to avoid the annoying chat-bot, and talk to an iD agent. 
🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Greg Cooper 

If you’ve purchased a new account you can’t move a number from one iD Mobile account to another. We’d recommend keeping the plan with the number you want to keep so that you can upgrade it, then return/cancel the plan with the new number.

Please let us know if you’d like us to get in touch to assist with a return.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom

I am away for two weeks from tomorrow but yes I will need help if I have to return this phone. Why wasn't I told that I would be unable to keep the same number???  

Can I not keep the phone, cancel the new the contract and upgrade the old contract.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately @Greg Cooper, the iD Mobile policies & procedures mean you can’t keep the phone, cancel the new iD contract, and upgrade the old contract. 

You could be running out of time to return the phone, in the cooling off period of the £29.99 contract, though @Greg Cooper.

The cooling off period varies depending on whereabouts your £29.99 contract was purchased. 

Userlevel 1

Can't I just buy the phone and cancel the contract?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Can't I just buy the phone and cancel the contract?

The phone + line rental are part of a single iD contract, which has a 24-month minimum term. 

You can return your order in the cooling off period to cancel the contract without having to pay the early termination fee, but you will have to return the phone.

If you cancel after the cooling off ends, you will have to pay the early termination fee, but you keep the phone.

Good luck @Greg Cooper.

Userlevel 1

Thank you andewhite

Why iD Mobile?