Solved

no connection in various central london locations

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I get really bad connection in central London locations, such as Oxford Street, Covent Garden, Liverpool Street, many City of London areas, Mayfair, Baker Street and many more.

I have an iPhone 13. 5G auto is on. I have tried my friends EE sim in those same locations in my phone to test, and the EE works perfectly in every location. The ID consistently (over the past 2 months I’ve had it) absolutely never works in these areas. This is despite often having full bars of 4g or 5g in these areas, but get absolutely zero internet connection when trying to load a website. I have also tried my iD sim in my second phone (S22 5g) and get the exact same results.

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 28 June 2023, 23:01

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I’ve had this before, never with 5G, just 4G. Pretty sure it’s network congestion! Have you checked for any known issues in the area? You can do that here.

I’ve had this before, never with 5G, just 4G. Pretty sure it’s network congestion! Have you checked for any known issues in the area? You can do that here.

I have not checked, but because it’s been occurring for 2 months + and in various different locations around Central London, I think it’s clear that it can’t be a ‘known issue’

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have not checked, but because it’s been occurring for 2 months + and in various different locations around Central London, I think it’s clear that it can’t be a ‘known issue’

Unfortunately, this issue is almost certainly due to network congestion on the Three UK network (iD Mobile’s network partner). 

I’d speculate that if you visited the locations between midnight and 6am, everything would work as you’re expecting @Hosom86

Three UK use TrafficSense to manage bandwidth on their mobile network infrastructure, stating they do this in order to give you the best possible experience.

http://support.three.co.uk/mobiledocs/Support/Signal_and_coverage/our_network/TrafficSense_facts_document.pdf

🍀

Could someone from ID help with this. Obviously, if this is ‘congestion’, the service is not fit for purpose and would expect some action to be taken (e.g. a discount or release from contract)

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

In my experience, the best way to get support & assistance from someone at iD Mobile is to use Facebook Messenger, or by Twitter DM. 

The support teams work until 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends). 

Unfortunately, like a majority of UK mobile service providers, your contract terms have numerous caveats covering delivery and quality of services. The onus being on the customer to demonstrate the service isn’t fit for purpose.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Hosom86 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having issues recently, has this always been an issue or just recently?

Please could you let us know the postcodes where you’ve had these issues?

Tom

Hi @Hosom86 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having issues recently, has this always been an issue or just recently?

Please could you let us know the postcodes where you’ve had these issues?

Tom

Oxford Street W1D 1BS, Covent Garden WC2E 9DD, Liverpool Street EC2M 7PP, Mayfair W1J 5RD, Baker Street W1U 8EW, City of London EC3V 9DH, Belgravia SW1X 8RX.

I know you are now going to put these postcodes into https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support

so I’ve gone ahead and done it for you.

EVERY SINGLE ONE (!!) of these postcodes yields the message “We’re fixing an issue with our network in this area”.

These postcodes are geographically distinct, and all across London. Is the network checker wrong? Because if not, it’s suggesting that the entire Three network is not functioning in London, and based on my experience, it’s been like like this for 2 months. This provides clear evidence that the network is not fit for purpose, and I do expect some action. 

It would be nice to also get an explanation of why the entirety of Central and West London seems to have network issues (assuming the network checker isn’t some bogus JavaScript used as an excuse by Three support to prolong customer interaction with those who complain in the hope that they wait for the so called issue to be fixed and eventually hoping the customer gives up - not that I think Three is doing this or have any information that this may be the case, no, Three is an excellent and ethical company who, I for sure don’t have any information on that they may be doing this!)

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Is this the message you see at those 7 postcodes @Hosom86?

I’ve had this message showing for over 9-months now, at my postcode - I’m guessing Three UK are working on their network to shutdown 3G services across the UK by end of 2024, while improving 4G services, and deploying 5G on existing and new towers. 

Is this the message you see at those 7 postcodes @Hosom86?

I’ve had this message showing for over 9-months now, at my postcode - I’m guessing Three UK are working on their network to shutdown 3G services across the UK by end of 2024, while improving 4G services, and deploying 5G on existing and new towers. 

Yes. It is widely known however, that this message is smokes & mirrors by Three. For it to show up for every single postcode in central and west London proves my point.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I had it for 18 months (ish) but all good now. 👀

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes. It is widely known however, that this message is smokes & mirrors by Three. For it to show up for every single postcode in central and west London proves my point.

Okay @Hosom86, does that mean Three UK aren’t shutting down (sunsetting) 3G services across the UK, while improving 4G infrastructure & services, and deploying 5G?

What’s their hidden agenda within the London area?

Okay @Hosom86, does that mean Three UK aren’t shutdowning 3G services across the UK, while improving 4G services, and deploying 5G?

What’s their hidden agenda within the London area?

The ‘improving network’ message is disingenuous, because it suggests the network is actually down; this is what support say as well, they will blame the significant problems a customer is facing on the ‘improving network’ message.

But as you mention, this message does not mean there is some major distribution. They are using it for the 3G shutdown and 4G and 5G rollout. In essence, they are using this message for routine work that happens most of the time, and then customer support uses this as an excuse for significant customer problems.

No other network does this. No other networks checker will tell you the network is down in all of London. No other network even has these kind of problems in London. Obviously it’s capacity issues on Three’s network.

Search Reddit. Search Three forum. Heck, even search this ID mobile forum. Everyone has problems with Three in London. For 10+ years.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

The reason the message shows across such a large area is because Three are improving their 4G backhaul network. With the pending switch off of 3G, their 4G network was incapable of handling the increased data traffic that VoLTE brings. It’s nothing to do with the roll out of 5G and they won’t be decommissioning 3G in area where the 4G network needs upgrading.

Your right though @Hosom86, the message is disingenuous. No timescale, no updates, not useful to anyone but Three!

The reason the message shows across such a large area is because Three are improving their 4G backhaul network. With the pending switch off of 3G, their 4G network was incapable of handling the increased data traffic that VoLTE brings. It’s nothing to do with the roll out of 5G and they won’t be decommissioning 3G in area where the 4G network needs upgrading.

Your right though @Hosom86, the message is disingenuous. No timescale, no updates, not useful to anyone but Three!

If Three really are improving their 4G backhaul, then that will literally fix all of their problems. It will make them the best network in the UK.

I already knew that all the problems I am having are specifically due to a weak 4G backhaul (everyone knows this lol) 

But, as you say, there’s no detailed info from them on what they are actually doing with their 4G backhaul, so idk if I should be persuing a release from my contract with ID, or waiting it out - this thought process is EXACTLY what Three want me to do!! They want me to be like ‘oh there’s lots of improvements going on, I’m sure it will be better in a few months’.

Only time will tell! 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Three had a webpage with some information on these 4G backhaul upgrades, why they were needed and there was some useful information there. I’m at work at the moment but when I finish later I will try and find the link to it. 👍🏻

For what it’s worth, I don’t think you will have to endure the waiting times I did. Given how big and busy the area you are having difficulty in is, Three probably will want to minimise the disruption or it will cost them a lot of wonga.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Hosom86 

I’m sorry to see these postcodes have reported outages, we’d expect Three to have fixed any issues within the 2 months you’ve mentioned, please let us know if you’d like us to get in touch so we can report this and get an update.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Did this get resolved?

I’ve just joined ID and the reception is absolutely AWFUL. I could not get ANY data in Covent Garden, Oxford Street and Soho areas today… seems like this is a known problem. 

I think I will have to return my phone under the 14d policy. 

Absolutely shocking! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Harry_S 

Sorry to hear you’ve been having issues with coverage, please could you let us know the postcode(s) where you’d have these issues?

Should you not be happy with your coverage at the beginning of the contract, it is worth considering your option of a return.

Tom

Userlevel 1

I joined iD just over two weeks ago. I used to stream music and YouTube from my gym with EE and Lebara without issues. Now, I struggle to listen even to one song. 
I was out with friends in London and needed to use the map to check bus routes, and nothing again, full 4G bars, but no data, barely loading the Google page. Everyone else phones around me are working normally, so why? If the 4G is congested for iD, why is not congested for other providers too? 

ID mobile is not fit for purpose - purchased in September 2023 and I barely have signal in London.

As a woman walking alone at night I often feel like it's putting me in danger that I can’t even send a WhatsApp message because the coverage is so poor. I rely on free wifi from passing coffee shops constantly.

Anywhere in London. Sometimes I have coverage. Most of the time it shows 4G or 5G on my phone but there is no data service. No internet, no WhatsApp, no phone call ability. Hampstead, St Johns Wood, Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Central London.

I complained when I purchased with the promise that they were just fixing some coverage issues but wish I would have given it back then, because it's now December and nothing has changed. 

What is most baffling is why a mobile service network provider would provide such poor service, that is what they are meant to be good at - why is this an issue for so many of us.

I am using an iPhone 14.

I just got a new sim with ID , and I live in London.

this is the worst sim I have ever had and I feel from reading more online it’s due to its shit coverage in London?! Well I would like to cancel this contract as I wasn’t aware until actually experiencing for myself!!

I work in central London , Soho I don’t have coverage. And I live in south east  which is absolutely terrible coverage. Why?!?

its actually quite dangerous not having any signal at all especially when at night and in the dark. Can’t even use the gps without the data signal.

terrible service , what do you have to say about this ID?!

Is this temporary or what?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @abdr720 @Lucaxdg @Jasmine1991,

Welcome to the Community!

We are sorry to hear that you are having coverage issues.

I would advise checking your coverage and the network status in your area at the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

If you don’t see any issues, please let us know and we will investigate further.

Kash

Userlevel 1

This for me it’s an on going issue. 
4g is mostly very slow or not working. At my local gym I used to have 4g on EE and was streaming Apple Music no problem for over a year, now I just swapped to iD in the same gym, full 4 bars of signal and no internet at all, unable to stream music.

In central London I was unable to check the map, it was not even loading a Google page, while all my friends around me with 4g had no problem. I had to ask to use their phone.  🤷‍♂️ 

it’s a service issue, that’s need to be addressed and fix. I can’t be locked in a 24 months contact and not be able to use the phone at all. In central London, it’s a joke. 

I did the postcode check, there full coverage of 4g in the area, coven garden, Piccadilly, green park, the data is congested. Do something! 

Userlevel 1

This afternoon in Haymarket and Piccadilly in London.  

Multiple postcodes are not working with zero signal and no data at all, south east London, aswel as west London and central London especially.. terrible. I have no option but to cancel and go back to Vodafone. 

Why iD Mobile?