Question

Not receiving OTP messages

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have also recently transferred to iD from Vodafone and now cannot receive OTP messages. This is causing me a lot of problems with important financial transactions that I cannot complete. I can send and receive text messages to and from friends and family ok.

Online chat are not able to help and all apparent ‘solutions’ have been tried but I am still not receiving the messages.

Can you please help.

Many thanks,

Stuart.

16 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @StuartGlu,

Posting in this iD online community isn’t real-time, so it could be several days or longer before iD Mobile read your post.

It sounds like there’s an issue with your iD account, which iD need to fix. It’ll probably be quicker for you to PM iD Mobile via facebook or twitter.

It’s best to contact iD between 9am - 6pm - that way you can PM with a real person.

Good luck!

Userlevel 1

Thank you, I have now resolved this issue. The problem is with the financial institutions or other companies sending the OTP. Just had to re-register my mobile number with them and the messages were then received.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

That’s good news @StuartGlu.

It does seem issues occur more frequently with number ports from Vodafone to iD, judging by posts to this forum - that can’t be a coincidence.

Userlevel 1

I had been receiving verification codes for a year or more but recently my phone number won’t verify. I deleted the number on my Apple ID so I could re-add it but now I’m stuck because I cannot get the codes to complete! My phone number just keeps cycling, trying to verify. I get ordinary texts some of the time but sometimes I get a whole group of them, late, all at once

Apple support have tried but short of signing out of my Apple ID and risking being unable to sign back in AND loosing stuff, I’m completely stuck. 

Reading all this I am sure it’s an IDMobile problem. I have tried ALL the suggested fixes but of course, they don’t want to be contacted. Only solution is to get a different Simm.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You could try a Network Reset @SueBrooks185.

If you're using iOS or iPadOS 15 or later, tap Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14 or earlier, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This will also reset Wi-Fi networks and passwords, mobile data settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Good luck @SueBrooks185.

Userlevel 1

Thanks but i’ve already done that 3 times. The only other option seems to be to either reset the iphone completely or log out of my Apple ID, both of which will prob result in loss of docs and i won’t be able to log back in - because I can’t get a verification code!

It’s nit as if it’s a total lack of messages, just most OTP’s and dome delay of SMSs and it WAS working for 2 years, so I point the finger at IDMobile. We only use wifi calling here as there’s no signal on Exmoor.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

An Apple verification code is not sent as a text message, and you can verify using a alternative method.

Apple support should have explained how to do this.

In a worst case scenario, you can use https://iforgot.apple.com to unlock your account with your existing password or reset your password.

Good luck @SueBrooks185.

Userlevel 1

thank you Andy, i just wished i was given that option! It’s my own phone’s number, within my own Apple ID account, that I can’t verify. My husband’s iphone, also on IDMobile, doesn’t have this problem and i had no problem until a few weeks ago. He can text me, no problem and i get some others but some texts take a day or two to come through. Changing any security settings is a real issue

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Can you sign-in using your AppleID at https://appleid.apple.com @SueBrooks185?

Userlevel 1

update - i have been able to log out of my Apple ID on my Mac and log back in again - the code from Apple arrived! BUT, in iMessages, my phone number is still not verifying. 

Curiously, when the code from Apple arrived, it also pulled through another 6 overdue codes from Sainsburys bank, IKEA, John Lewis and VISA at exactly the same time.

ID have sent me a replacement simm and I will try that, but not expecting any change. I cannot risk signing out of my Apple ID on my phone and being stranded. There is no alternative option than my mobile number for the verification code.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you tried turning OFF iMessage?

When iMessage is OFF, all text messages are sent and received as an SMS (green in Messages app).

Tap Settings > Messages, and then toggle iMessage OFF.

Good luck @SueBrooks185.

Userlevel 1

Yes i’ve done that many times!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @SueBrooks185 

This sounds like you may need to contact Apple about verifying the number on your device, please do however let us know how the replacement SIM helps out.

Tom

Userlevel 1

sim has been delayed in post so haven’t had chance to try that. I took a look at my Mac and decided to sign out and back in of Apple ID on my Mac to see if that was the source of verification issue on iMessage on iphone, as suggested, but no difference.

Today i drove to a mobile signal and had forgotten to toggle on iMessage. When I did, hugely surprised to see issue resolved!! Back home, to WiFi calling only, my phone number is still on iMessage as normal. I’ll probably not switch to the new sim!

Userlevel 1

ps many thanks to all who have tried to help, particularly Stuart and Andy. I wished i understood the problem but I know more than i did! Maybe someone at IDMobile has twiddled something!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @SueBrooks185 

Glad to hear you got the issue resolved, let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?