Solved

Occasional use of iD phone account on iPad with cellular

Userlevel 1

I have had an iD account for many years and am a very satisfied customer. Can I use the data on my account on my iPad WiFi+Cellular which has a sim holder?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 11 January 2023, 10:13

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @alanclare,

You can certainly try to place the SIM in.

Many others on here have had the SIM work in routers, iPads and other tablets, but not something we guarantee compatibility of.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much Mohammed for that very helpful reply to my question. Being very much a Newbie when it comes to technical matters, I am very loth to trust the technology which would involve me taking the sim out of my phone, putting it into my iPad, and trying to use the data allowance if my iD account to connect the iPad where there was an absence of Wi-fi for me to connect to.

Thanks again, best wishes, Alan

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thank you very much Mohammed for that very helpful reply to my question. Being very much a Newbie when it comes to technical matters, I am very loth to trust the technology which would involve me taking the sim out of my phone, putting it into my iPad, and trying to use the data allowance if my iD account to connect the iPad where there was an absence of Wi-fi for me to connect to.

Thanks again, best wishes, Alan

Hey @alanclare,

This is just to rule out if the iPad is the reason for the issue or if a setting has changed.

Are you able to get someone to help you test this?

It may even fix the issue just by restarting.

The other option is you can try visiting Currys to see if they can give you some support in person with the SIM and troubleshoot further.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Mohammed. Are you saying that if I move the sim from my Android phone and put it in my iPad, you would expect me to be able to use Settings to enable the iPad to use the data allowance if my iD contract? 

Alan

Userlevel 1

Mohammed

Could I buy an iD pay-as-you-go sim and use that in the iPad?

Alan

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Alan

Yes you can, although iD Mobile only support their SIM cards when used in a mobile phone.

Your existing iD SIM card should work in your iPad @alanclare.

If you want the luxury of help & support for the SIM you use in your iPad, you probably need to choose a mobile network operator that supports use of their SIM cards in iPad devices.

Good luck @alanclare.
🍀

Userlevel 1

Mohammed 

Thanks again. I must pluck up courage and try it.

Alan

Userlevel 1

Alan

Yes you can, although iD Mobile only support their SIM cards when used in a mobile phone.

Your existing iD SIM card should work in your iPad @alanclare.

If you want the luxury of help & support for the SIM you use in your iPad, you probably need to choose a mobile network operator that supports use of their SIM cards in iPad devices.

Good luck @alanclare.
🍀

Andy

Thank you for helping my to understand what I need to do to use my iPad away from home.

At the moment my iPad only gets use when I can access a WiFi signal eg at home or at a friend’s home where they’re happy to sign me on to their WiFi. 

If I’m going away for a fortnight’s break to a city in this country, and I bought an iD Mobile SIM Only deal which comes as 30-day contract and put that in my iPad, could I use the iPad until the data or the 30 days ran out?

Alan

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you’re only using the iPad with cellular mobile data occasionally, I’d suggest a PAYG iD plan with 30-day bundle.

Your bundle will last 30-days, or less if you use up your data allowance beforehand.

Good luck @alanclare.

Userlevel 1

Andy

That would be ideal, and cheap to test before trying it for real. That's a really big help. Thanks a lot!

Alan

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Glad to hear that Alan.

Do note also, that all contract SIM purchases (made from us directly) come with a 30-day returns as well.

This doesn’t apply to PAYG since you would just stop using it if you didn’t want it.

PAYG is not the same as SIM only though, just wanting to clarify.

PAYG you can top-up or buy bundles as and when you need it, ideal for usage now and then or when you want control/flexibility

SIM only plans provide a fixed plan each month and is either a recurring monthly, 12-month or 24-month contract depending on what you bought.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Mohammed

Thanks for explaining the differences between sim only and payg. My needs would seem best be served by payg. Most of my needs would be met by always having the very reasonably priced ones at my disposal and discarding them either after using all the data or at the end of their 30-day life. I've ordered some to try.

Alan

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @alanclare 

Let us know how you get on and if you need any further assistance.

Tom

Userlevel 1

As soon as the sims that I’ve ordered, I’ll try one in the iPad. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Userlevel 1

I’ve put the sim in the ipad

I go to Settings

Mobile Data

I turn Mobile Data on

Mobile Data Options is Roaming On

Personal Hotspot is Off

Then, under Mobile Plans is Three SIM card with a green tick

Then under THREE

is Network Selection is iD > which leads to Automatic On

APN Settings > which leads to APN three.co.uk

Username (blank)

Password (blank)

Then after APN Settings is SIM Pin > which leads to an Off button

If I turn the WiFi off, I cant search the internet

I feel that we must be near a solution HELP

Alan

Userlevel 1

Hi @alanclare 

Let us know how you get on and if you need any further assistance.

Tom

Tom

Please see my description above of what happened when I put a PAYG card in the iPad. It recognised the card but I couldn’t make it work. Any suggestions?

apAlan

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sounds like you’ve put a Three SIM card in your iPad @alanclare.

If so, you’ll need to contact Three UK for help & support.

Good luck @alanclare.

Userlevel 1

Sounds like you’ve put a Three SIM card in your iPad @alanclare.

If so, you’ll need to contact Three UK for help & support.

Good luck @alanclare.

Andy

the card is a new iD PAYG card. ID uses the Three network.

Alan

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The APN value for iD is “id”.

The value is letter case sensitive - see the following forum FAQ

Good luck @alanclare.

Why iD Mobile?