Question

old sim not compatible with iphone 15

• 29 September 2023
  • 9 replies

on Monday I swapped over to my new iPhone 15 and my number wouldn't activate with iMessage or FaceTime. so I contacted iD and they told me to wait 24 hrs, as did Apple, fine. Tuesday came and it’s still not working, activation failed rather than awaiting. reached out again and Apple are claiming it’s the providers issue and I should ask for a new sim, this was after trying all the resets, turning on and off etc. 

on Wednesday I went and got a new, replacement, sim as the chat agent on iD suggested, as well as Apple. low and behold, still not working. I see others on here with the same issue, are iDs sims not compatible with the new iPhone, what is going on? Apple have left the case open but I truly believe this is an issue with iD and the new iPhone as my sim worked fine in my old iPhone and the number is trusted with my apple devices. 

surely someone somewhere has a solution for this that isn't me paying to leave iD and just take out a new sim? 

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Is this your first iPhone @ahfraz?

• Can you make and receive cellular calls?
  • Can you send and receive SMS text messages (not iMessage)?
  • Does mobile data work with your iPhone 15 @ahfraz?

yep I can receive and make calls, same with texts. and my data is fine also 

and no it’s not my first iPhone, it’s about my 5th with this number and my second using iD. as I switch from three to iD in May

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay, thanks - sounds like your iD SIM card is working properly. 

Is it possible the mobile number of the iD SIM in your iPhone 15 is associated with another Apple device for iMessage and FaceTime - one of your previous iPhones perhaps?

They’re all logged in with the same Apple ID so it shouldn’t matter but all my previous phones have been factory reset as well.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @ahfraz, normally a mobile number can only be linked to one Apple device. 

Is the iPhone 15 linked to the iD Mobile number under devices in your AppleID?

Well that’s not completely true because this number is also linked to my iPad and Mac. The mobile no I have is listed as the only trusted mobile number on my Apple ID acc and that’s the only mobile no. I have with iD

however, this morning I went onto check and it’s verified it. It seems iD maybe have a verification issue with the new iPhone, as everyone else seems to be having similar issues 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @ahfraz, good to know the issue is resolved.

Regarding mobile numbers and AppleID, when I login at https://appleid.apple.com, and look at my devices (iPad x1, iPhone x2), only one device is shown with my mobile number. Two devices don’t show a mobile number. The device with a mobile number is the device I used to activate Apple proprietary iMessage and FaceTime services, which are then available on all the Apple devices registered under my AppleID.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ahfraz,

Welcome to the Community!

Please let us know how you got on with this.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?