Solved

PAYG Data Sim use in Netgear M2 router

• 25 April 2022
  • 5 replies

I want to use a 60GB data sim in a Netgear Nighthawk M2  Router.  Is this possible as Netgear is not listed as a manufacturer and can you use VPN as I want to log in and work using the router?  I do not need to use calls and texts.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 25 April 2022, 11:06

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

The Netgear Nighthawk M2 is a 4G router and so it will work with on the iD Mobile network. You will need to configure the device with the correct APN settings as shown here:

As for using a VPN, this dependent on the device and not the network. So, as long as the Netgear Nighthawk M2 supports whatever VPN protocol you require then yes, you can use a VPN.

Thanks for that but the VPN question I believe is valid as I have had a Vodaphone sim and they do not allow VPN connections wheras O2 do and it worked fine with O2

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I used Nord VPN with my Vodafone Pay Monthly SIM without issues.

thanks Welshpaul.  I talked to vodaphone technical for 4 hours and they eventually said I had to buy a data only contract in order to use VPN.  So I just wanted to check if there were any such limitations on ID

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

The only real difference between a Data SIM and phone SIM is that a Data SIM gets you a proper external IP address where as a phone SIM does not. Phone SIMS tend to use CGNAT which can be a problem for some. iD Mobile has a cooling off period and so if you do encounter any issues, you can cancel penalty free. 👍

Why iD Mobile?