Solved

Ported Number from Vodafone to IDmobile - SMS not working

Userlevel 1

I have recently swapped my service from VOdafone to IDmobile. New phone and new SIM but ported my old number across. SMS is not functioning correctly. I can send texts from my new mobile/SIM but the replies are going to my old phone/SIM. I have tried all of the advice regards turning imessage off and restarting phone, resetting network. None of it has worked. My issue is going to be with verification codes and OTP. I have tried to use the chat service but as soon as i enter my number it says “there is an issue with the service”. This is so frustrating!! I cant get any further.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 9 November 2022, 17:45

View original

35 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Are you using an Android handset, or an iPhone @Gary Harrison?

Are calls okay (incoming and outgoing)? 

Userlevel 1

I am using an Iphone 13 mini supplied by IDmobile. Incoming and outgoing calls are ok.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Gary Harrison, I suggest you turn OFF iMessage on your iPhone 13 mini, and then check if your text messages work correctly. 

Userlevel 1

Have done as you said. SMS Message sent from my wifes phone still going to my old Vodafone phone/SIM.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Is your wife’s phone an iPhone @Gary Harrison

Userlevel 1

No, android.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Gary Harrison, I think you said your wife’s SMS goes to your ‘old’ Vodafone handset - what SIM card is in your ‘old’ Vodafone handset?

Userlevel 1

My old Vodafone SIM that my number was ported from. It shows no service, emergency calls only.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay, is your old Vodafone handset an iPhone @Gary Harrison?

Userlevel 1

No, android.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Gary Harrison, did you start using your new iPhone 13 mini with the new iD SIM card BEFORE your the number you wanted to keep was ported from Vodafone to iD Mobile? 

Userlevel 1

Yes I made a call and sent an sms message with the new ID mobile SIM.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Ah, I see @Gary Harrison.

This means Apple will’ve registered your iPhone 13 with the number you originally got from iD, to use Apple’s iMessage service.

Normally the following procedure will solve this problem:

1. Turn OFF iMessage (Settings > Messages), and turn OFF FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  2. Turn OFF your iPhone - leave it OFF for at least 15 minutes.
  3. Turn ON your iPhone.
  4. Tap Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > CONTACTABLE AT and confirm the correct mobile number is shown. If it's not correct, use the Edit option to "Add email or phone number".
  5. Turn ON iMessage (Settings > Messages), and turn ON FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  6. Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed against “Start new conversations from:” - if not select the correct number.

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have just followed the instructions above and checked that my old phone number is populating all of the fields you have detailed.

Sent a text from my wife's android phone and it still goes to my old Vodafone phone/sim.

Regards

GH

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi,

Sent a text from my wife's android phone and it still goes to my old Vodafone phone/sim.

Regards

GH

Sounds like the Android Messages app on your old Vodafone phone, and your wife’s Android phone is/was using the Google “Chat features” option.

You can try to remove your old Vodafone phone’s number from Google’s RCS database online at:

https://messages.google.com/disable-chat

Scroll down to the “Without your previous device” section.

Good luck @Gary Harrison

Userlevel 1

So i followed the instructions and received a verification code on my new iphone/sim. i entered the code in the relevant section of the webpage. I have tried another test text from my wifes phone and it is still going through to my old vodafone phone/Sim.  there was a message on the webpage about this may take some time. Any previous experience of how long this may take to work through the system?

I noticed on my old phone that chat features are still enabled and connected after the above.

Cheers

GH

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Any previous experience of how long this may take to work through the system?

I noticed on my old phone that chat features are still enabled and connected after the above.

Cheers

GH

Sorry, I’ve not removed chat features before.
While you’re waiting for Google to action your request, perhaps turn OFF “Chat features” on your wife’s phone in order to see if you get her SMS on your iPhone 13.

Anyway, good luck @Gary Harrison

Userlevel 1

Have just checked and still the same issue…..😡

The only thing i would say about turning off the chat features on my wifes phone is that i would need to do that on all phones trying to send SMS texts to me, not just hers. That isnt really possible so i would rather get this working as it should.  I cant believe IDmobile do not have a more contactable support desk.

GH

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Gary Harrison, hopefully Google won’t be too much longer removing your mobile number from their RCS system used for the “Chat features”. It wouldn’t be practical to ask all your Android contacts to stop using “Chat Features”. 

FYI, the best ways to get support from iD Mobile are:

The iD staff work 9am - 8pm weekdays, and 9am - 6pm at weekends.

FYI, the iD staff working in this public forum are currently 6-7 days behind real-time, so you might expect them to respond 6-7 days after you post in this forum.

Userlevel 1

Thanks AndeWhite, i think i will sit tight and see how things go for a day or two and hope the disconnection of the chat feature against my number cure the SMS issues. If not i will contact the support team and see what they can suggest.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hopefully not too much longer to wait @Gary Harrison.

Perhaps look at the messages sent from your wife to your mobile:

If she (temporarily) turns OFF her “Chat features”, does this change status of the text message/s sent to you?   

Userlevel 1

Turned chat features off on my wifes phone and sent a test text to my number. received it on teh new iphone/sim. Seems to prove its the google chat that is causing the issue.  how long it will take to unresolve my old phone we shall see…

Cheers

GH

Userlevel 1

So , as of midday today, which is pretty much seven days exactly since my number was ported to IDmobile,  I am now getting text messages from android users. Looks like the Google Chat message system has finally realised my number is no longer allied to an android phone. They say patience is a virtue….

Thanks one and all for your input.

GH

Userlevel 1

Seems like it only worked for a short while….😡 back to square one. Still not getting SMS texts from android phone users…

GH

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

How frustrating @Gary Harrison.

I think I read somewhere online it can take up to 2-weeks for the mighty Google to deregister your Android device from their (RCS) “Chat features” service.

Why iD Mobile?