Solved

Replacement sim card not working in EU

• 11 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I am in the Netherlands for an extended holiday. I have activated on line a replacement SIM card and although I have tried in 2 separate phones, both of which have worked with ID Mobile SIM cards in the past, and which connect to a local network I cannot make or receive calls. Any idea why this is so?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 12 May 2023, 10:13

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You need to be physically present within the UK when you activate a replacement iD SIM card @fun2fly.

Your post is unclear on whereabouts you’re trying to activate your replacement iD Mobile SIM card. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Netherlands!🌎

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Netherlands!🌎

Yes indeed @Geluk
I should’ve asked whereabouts @fun2fly and replacement SIM card were, when they’d gone online to activate the replacement.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the replies.  I requested activation of my sim on the iD website before inserting my replacement SIM card in my phone.  I received a message from iD saying my Sim card had been activated so I put it in my phone, in the Netherlands.g to find it did not appear to be activated as I could not call or receive calls.  I am here in Netherlands for some time. (circa 6 months) and need my phone and will not be happy paying monthly charges if I have  no service.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks for the replies.  I requested activation of my sim on the iD website before inserting my replacement SIM card in my phone.  I received a message from iD saying my Sim card had been activated so I put it in my phone, in the Netherlands.g to find it did not appear to be activated as I could not call or receive calls.  I am here in Netherlands for some time. (circa 6 months) and need my phone and will not be happy paying monthly charges if I have  no service.

Unfortunately, your iD SIM card needs to be physically present in the UK on first use, following its activation @fun2fly, otherwise the SIM can’t be activated on the iD network, despite being activated in your iD account.

The iD inclusive EU roaming probably wouldn’t work after 4-months because of their “EU Roaming Fair Usage” policy (see https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy).

Userlevel 1

Thanks Andewhite for the information 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You should still be able to use it up to the 4 month mark without surplus charges though as long as the SIM was activated and connected to service in the UK.

Make sure also Roaming is turned ON in the iD account as this needs to be enabled in order to allow roaming services.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Most helpful, thank you

Why iD Mobile?