Question

slow data and wifi on iPhone

• 16 November 2023
  • 12 replies

Hi, I have a new iPhone 15 pro, data is VERY slow and often nothing loads at all. Coverage checker on iD website shows good coverage. the phone also doesn’t pick up my WiFi. I have upgraded from iPhone 11 Pro which is still in use and has none of these issues so it is not my WiFi. I have restarted the phone several times, and software is kept up to date, and not much memory is being used. It’s maki by my new phone so frustrating to use as I can’t use any apps that require internet! Help appreciated!!

12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Apparently iOS 17 has a number of Wi-Fi networking issues, which are affecting some iPhone users @Amymorganjames

Online reports suggest Apple will fix these in the iOS 17.2 release.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/10/30/ios-17-2-beta-addresses-wifi-issues/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-17-2-to-fix-the-iphones-slow-wi-fi-and-connectivity-loss-problems-when-to-expect-the-update/

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Amymorganjames,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you contacted Apple regarding this?

Please let us know if you require assistance from us.

If you are within the 30 day returns period we would usually look at an exchange but if it’s an issue with the iOS that won’t help.

Kash

Hi Kash

As the issue is with the service then I would have thought it is an iD issue not Apple? The WiFi issue could be the phone itself but as once it’s connected to WiFi it works then the 4G issue can not be the phone. Can you suggest anything iD could do to fix the issue please?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi Kash

As the issue is with the service then I would have thought it is an iD issue not Apple? The WiFi issue could be the phone itself but as once it’s connected to WiFi it works then the 4G issue can not be the phone. Can you suggest anything iD could do to fix the issue please?

4G issue is probably down to capacity issues with the mobile data network, which is operated by Three UK (the iD network partner). Three UK have an active bandwidth management policy (TrafficSense), which throttles data when the network is congested.

Have you checked the network status for faults / issues in the location/s where data is slow?

Check at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network-and-coverage/network-support

That’s really interesting thank you, the coverage checker shows excellent coverage etc hence why I am confused at the slow/missing speeds!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Amymorganjames, the coverage checker shows the theoretical signal reception expected at a given location, based on computer models. Real-world reception can be different from prediction of the computer models.

The https://mastdata.com website has real-world signal reception information for many locations in UK.

The online network status checker show current service interruptions or issues for any given location.

That’s really interesting thank you, the coverage checker shows excellent coverage etc hence why I am confused at the slow/missing speeds!

Do not fall for what these guys are trying to tell you, I am the same as you. Ive had idmobile for 1 month and have encountered 5x more internet and signal issues than I did in 5+ years on the three network even though Id claim to be using the same network? just cowboys who provide a very bad product and service, sadly weve both commited to these contracts now but just stay away from this company when it is up and go back to three. This may as well just be a scam with how little it works.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Do not fall for what these guys are trying to tell you, I am the same as you. Ive had idmobile for 1 month and have encountered 5x more internet and signal issues than I did in 5+ years on the three network even though Id claim to be using the same network? just cowboys who provide a very bad product and service, sadly weve both commited to these contracts now but just stay away from this company when it is up and go back to three. This may as well just be a scam with how little it works.

If iD Mobile are using the same mobile network infrastructure as Three UK, what things might make iD worse than Three UK @tomot1919?    

If iD Mobile are using the same mobile network infrastructure as Three UK, what things might make iD worse than Three UK @tomot1919?    

Clearly they have lots of things that contribute to idmobile not being as consistent, I literally have had 5x more problems in 1 month of using idmobile than I did in 5+ years of using three. It is clearly an idmobile problem, a problem I sadly do not know the answer too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Amymorganjames 

As @andewhite indicates above the coverage checker site is based on approximations, the best way to know signal is to experience it yourself to find if it’s what you’d be happy with.

If the device itself is having issues connecting to Wi-Fi this would indicate some sort of issue with the device which could even extend to it’s ability to connect to mobile network(s), not just Wi-Fi networks, it would be worth seeing if Apple can identify any issues with the device.

Tom

Hi Tom

thanks for your reply. As I purchased the device from  iD is this not who should be checking the phone for issues?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Amymorganjames 

If you’d like to send the device off to our engineers this can be done via any Currys store, or the option to take it to Apple directly to have them look into it or offer support is also available.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?