Question

Temporary number on SIM after PAC transfer

• 4 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Using Android on a Samsung S23 Ultra.

I’ve had a good look through the forum and tried the fixes suggested, but nothing has worked for me and I need some technical advice.

After a PAC transfer (from EE) last week, my old number is being used for calls, but the temporary number on the SIM has not changed when I check “About Phone” (also “this phone” in contacts) and when sending text messages it uses the temporary number and not my old number which should have transferred.

I’ve tried the following with no success:

1. Switching the phone off for 30 mins with the SIM removed.
  2. Resetting the network settings (wi-fi, mobile, and bluetooth).
  3. Switching RCS off in Google Messages.

Also when looking at Google Messages the temporary number is registered and there’s no way to change it. I’ve been to the Google site mentioned, but the instructions there don’t explain how to change the registered number and I can only assume it’s picking the number up off the SIM.

So, how do I update the SIM to my old number?

Many thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Seems to happen if you use the iD SIM card in your Android handset before your transfer your number to iD Mobile.

If you’ve still got your old handset, you could pop your iD SIM in and deregister from Google’s RCS servers as per Google’s online page https://messages.google.com/disable-chat.

Otherwise, have you tried a Network Reset with the “Chat features” turned OFF in the Messages app?

Thanks andewhite.

Unfortunately I don’t have my old handset.

I gave another Network Reset a go with Chat features turned off, but that hasn’t changed anything :-(

Will I need technical help from iD Mobile? How do I get that? How do I report a technical issue?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Epicurus, if you turn off “Chat features” in the Messages app, all your text messages will be sent using SMS instead of Google’s RCS.

Any Android users who have “Chat features” ON will probably see the mobile number that Google have linked to your new Samsung S23 Ultra device. RCS messaging is not anything to do with iD Mobile, so you’ll have to persevere with Google, or Samsung for assistance with this issue. 

As making & receiving calls works with the number you wanted to keep, it suggests your iD SIM card is using the ‘correct’ mobile number for your iD account.

In my experience, getting technical support from iD Mobile is very difficult.
You can try doing this using the iD online live chat service, or by ‘talking’ to iD customer support staff on Facebook or Twitter - contact them privately using Facebook Messenger, or a Twitter direct message.

The support teams work until 8pm on weekdays (and 6pm at weekends + bank holidays).

Thanks again for your advice @andewhite, much appreciated.

So my phone is using my old number to make and take calls and now with RCS turned off it is using my old number for texts.

However, when I view myself in contacts it says that the number on SIM1 is the temporary (incorrect) number. When I go into About Phone it says that the number for the phone is the temporary number. So you say that the SIM is using the “correct” number (ie: old, ported number), so why is it displaying the temporary number in these Android apps?

I don’t know how the PAC process works, I’ve changed phones many times and kept the same number, but I’ve never seen this issue where the old number has ported, but everything in the phone displays the temporary number. It appears to me that number is held on the SIM, the phone is picking it up off the SIM, and the PAC process didn’t amend the SIM. Clearly something in the background is working (old correct number is being used), but the phone is still displaying the temporary incorrect number.

Google also have the temporary number registered for RCS and I can only assume Google took this off the SIM. This is going to happen all the time where temporary numbers are used until the PAC process goes through when surely the only way to rectify it for RCS is for the SIM number to change and then Messages can pick up the ported number.

I don’t think it’s an unrealistic expectation to have my old correct number display in my new phone. It’s never been an issue previously and I just want to know who understands what is going on and who can fix it.

I’ll try speaking to one of the online chat service staff and see if they can help.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m not an Android user @Epicurus, but it appears there’s an issue with Android not updating the mobile number from the iD SIM card, or the SIM card is faulty.

A faulty SIM card seems unlikely as you can call, SMS, and use mobile data without any issues.

Maybe you can: 

1. Try the iD SIM in another handset? 
  2. Edit your own contact details in the Contacts app?
  3. Find a solution in the Samsung support pages, or Samsung community?

One of the moderators at https://eu.community.samsung.com commented as follows in topic “How do I change the mobile number in the About Phone section?”: 

The number shown in Settings > About Phone is automatically generated by the registered SIM card, and cannot be manually changed. On occasion, a read error can cause the wrong number to show here, or it will say 'Unknown' where the number should be populated. I understand that this isn't ideal, however please be assured that it will not affect your network capabilities in any way. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Epicurus. It’s worthwhile trying out a replacement SIM to see if this resolves the issue. This is because when we send out a new SIM, it’s blank and hasn’t been activated yet. Therefore, it hasn’t been associated with any temporary iD number. 

If you need us to get in touch to issue out a replacement, just let us know and we can get that set up for you. Alternatively, you can pop into any local Currys store and pick one up there and then. You’ll also be able to activate any replacement iD SIM via the app, or by getting in touch with any member of the team. 

-Lauren

Why iD Mobile?