Solved

Using UK allowance in Australia

• 18 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I will be travelling for 2 months in Australia which I see there are listed AU network providers that can be used for text, calls and the 30GB data allowance.  My question is could I be connected to an Australian network provider while I am there that is not on your partner list and be charged without realising?  Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by andewhite 18 November 2023, 12:50

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You can’t use your iD plan UK allowances while roaming in Australia @Chris Steel

Inclusive roaming only covers 50 destinations in the EU + EEA.

If you make or receive calls, send text messages, or use mobile roaming data in Australia, you could be charged up to the bill cap amount setup for your iD account.

Userlevel 1

Sorry I miss read that.  UK package as you say includes 50 EU EEA destinations but not Australia.  You have listed the Australian mobile provider partners but these are not included in the international roaming plan offer, and as you say charges apply.  Got it thanks.  

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

When I visited Australia Jan ‘23, I used a data only eSIM for my roaming mobile data - seemed to be cheaper compared to the roaming mobile data per MB charges. Very pleased with how easily this worked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Chris Steel 

Thanks for helping here, @andewhite.

Tom

Userlevel 1

When I visited Australia Jan ‘23, I used a data only eSIM for my roaming mobile data - seemed to be cheaper compared to the roaming mobile data per MB charges. Very pleased with how easily this worked.

Nice one. What sim did you use?

calls over there look pretty cheap with iD but data will cost a fortune I think. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Nice one. What sim did you use?

calls over there look pretty cheap with iD but data will cost a fortune I think. 

I used a regional data-only eSIM from Soracom Mobile, @Stu G

Userlevel 1

Thanks. Just looking at Nomad as it seems to offer what we want - Malaysia, Australia and Japan. 20gb for 45 days @ £23. Seems a good deal and reviews are excellent. 

Why iD Mobile?