Question

VPN PPTP Doesnt work on mobile signal

• 7 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Some time ago I asked about the VPN not working on the network. After various conversations and contact it's still isn't working and I'm almost certain it's something to do with ID mobile.

If I'm away from my home and I'm connected to a WiFi, for example at the local cafe, I can connect to my VPN server at home.

As soon as I turn my WiFi off and use my mobile signal it doesn't connect.

WiFi back on and connected to the cafe connects fine.

It must be ID mobile? I've tried messing about with different APN settings and nothing seems to work.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @UGMENTALCASE 

Have you tried a different network SIM in your device to test?

Tom

Before I came to ID I was on EE. I did the test then and it was fine yes.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

As you've discovered, the EE and iD Mobile network infrastructure is not the same @UGMENTALCASE.

Maybe your home VPN could use an application layer gateway, so your external clients can ‘tunnel’ through standard TCP ports, which ought to be open on the iD Mobile network.

Yes it’s not the same but I have tried it on numerous other internet providers, cafes and so on and it connects every time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @UGMENTALCASE,

Have you tried speaking to your VPN provider to see if they can troubleshoot why it’s not working on mobile data?

There isn’t much we can configure on our end and any setting changes would need to be made on your end.

We don’t have any toggles we would enable or disable via accounts for VPN access so if it’s because a change needs to be made via the infrastructure, we wouldn’t be able to do this.

Mohammed

It’s the built in VPN on the phone, nothing special. The only thing I can think of after more testing is that maybe it’s something to do with the mobile ip address? Maybe my home internet (plusnet) block a certain type of address? I don’t know? Is that even a thing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @UGMENTALCASE 

Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to give a definite answer to that, as @Mohammed says there isn’t much to configure on our side and aren’t any toggles to enable or disable VPN access, sorry.

Have you tried other VPN services?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?