Solved

Wi Fi calling - why is my phone not compatible.

• 7 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I have just read about Wi Fi calling on iPhones with a detailed description on how to set it up and a link to the iPhones it was possible to use for Wi Fi calling. . Android phones were not listed. My iD Mobile reception is not very good indoors and I often lose the call connection. I would like to set up Wi Fi calling if it’s possible on my phone. My phone is a Motorola G7 Power.

I just found the list of compatible phones and mine is not listed. What does a phone have to have to be compatible. I need to know before I buy a new phone as losing the connection during a call is frustrating and embarrassing.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 12 April 2022, 11:07

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Figgis,

I suggest you get an unlocked iPhone - all the UK mobile network operators support the Wi-Fi Calling service with any iPhone running iOS 11.2 or later (from the iPhone 5C onwards).

Some MVNO (mobile virtual network operators) also support the Wi-Fi Calling service for iPhone handsets, for example: ASDA Mobile, iD Mobile, Sky Mobile, Virgin Mobile.

I use the iD Wi-Fi Calling service whenever I’m at home, with my iPhone 13 - it’s great.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

I don’t want an iPhone. - they are very expensive. The only Apple device I have is a 5th Generation iPod and that is gathering dust in a drawer but has my song library on it.

What does a phone have to have to be compatible with Wi Fi calling?

Does iD Mobile have to sell the phone model for it to be on the compatible list. There are some very old iPhones on the list so I don’t understand some replies that say a phone is not on the list because it was an end of line phone.

Userlevel 1

The Moto G7 Power was available in the UK from March 2019 at Carphone Warehouse, EE, Vodafone, John Lewis, Tesco and other participating resellers with a starting price of £179.

I bought the Sim Free phone in January 2020 and it’s the best phone I have ever owned. It has a phenomenon battery life and the only problem I’m having is the iD reception on phone calls when I’m indoors at home. Could Wi Fi calling resolve this problem. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I think iD Mobile may have a checklist / test process for getting a product on their approved list, but probably only test their best selling devices work with their Wi-Fi Calling service.

If a device isn’t listed on the iD compatible devices list, the device may still work with iD Wi-Fi Calling service - but if not, you won’t get any help from iD to get it working. It’ll be down to you to solve the problem.

@Figgis, have you looked to see if there’s another UK network provider who supports the Moto G7 Power for Wi-Fi Calling?

Userlevel 1

@andewhite  thanks for your reply. 

I thought about moving to another provider but I don’t want to get stuck in a long contract. With iD Mobile I’m only tied to a months contract. I will have to find a location at home where the reception is good, if such a place exists. I can see 2 phone masts out my window at night so it’s ironic that my reception is so poor indoors. Perhaps they are 5G.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

So @Figgis, ASDA Mobile use the Vodafone network and offer 1 month contracts, so you’d not be tied to them. Vodafone might have an excellent indoor signal at your home address.

You also said you would be getting a new phone - you could get another SIM free Motorola model. The following are supported by iD for Wi-Fi Calling:

(from the Wi-Fi Calling & 4G Calling community article)

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite

Thank you for the very detailed reply. Because my Moto G7 Power is so good I may hold onto it longer. I expected the battery life to have deteriorated by now but it’s still very good. Plus I have to pare back my spending with the increase in living costs. I also want to find out more about 5G as I expect my next phone to be a 5G one. I will look into Asda and their phone packages because it’s always good to have an alternative.

I like the iD plan I’m on and the fact that my unused data is rolled over to the next month. I also like that Roaming is still possible with iD Mobile. A lot to like with iD except the signal indoors. WiFi calling could solve that,

Why iD Mobile?