Question

Wifi calling not working

• 11 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi there. Any ideas on the following please?

I took out a new SIM only contract the other day for myself which works fine in my own phone. Also noticed that when putting the SIM card in my wife’s iPhone 7 Plus then wifi calling is immediately enabled and works fine (my own phone does not support wifi calling at present). Given that we have relatively poor mobile reception inside our house, this is a big bonus for her, so we decided to get an identical contract for her, and the SIM for that arrived yesterday. However, whilst this SIM works in terms of normal phone functions, wifi calling is NEVER indicated, where as swapping in my SIM and changing nothing on the phone ALWAYS indicates wifi calling every time. As I said, the two contracts are identical in every respect, although even if they weren’t it shouldn’t matter as I believe that all contracts are supposed to support wifi calling.

Have scoured the internet and tried every possible fix shown (reset network settings, toggle wifi calling on or off etc. etc.) but nothing works. Is there a possibility that a SIM card could have been sent out that is not correctly set up at the ID Mobile end? I have a tech support ticket set up for this, but don’t know how long it might take to get a response, and I don’t want to commit to porting her old number across until I’m sure that wifi calling is going to work.

Thanks for any other suggestions.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @rpb424,

I understand your reservations regarding porting until this is sorted. It is certainly a little odd.

What did my colleagues advise when you have logged this with us already? Has anyone sent a new SIM card out to you yet?

Will

They had no immediate suggestions other than the ‘known’ ways of fixing this, all of which I had already tried although I tried them again during the call. They escalated this to a tech support ticket number 264580090. No new SIM has been sent.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Oki doke @rpb424,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Will

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @rpb424,

I know how frustrating this can be, having experienced something similar myself when I first joined iD several years ago.

At the time I had an iPhone 7 - when I inserted my iD SIM, made the changes to enable Wi-Fi Calling, it didn’t work.

Luckily my daughter was using Wi-Fi Calling on EE at the time, which allowed me to test her EE SIM in my iPhone; I discovered that EE Wi-Fi Calling was working on my device using her SIM.

Anyway, I suspect you do need reasonably good mobile network reception on the device you’re trying to enable with Wi-Fi Calling, otherwise things aren’t necessarily configured correctly.

I say this because after testing the EE SIM in my phone, after turning my phone off for more than 30 minutes, then reinserting my iD SIM, the iD Wi-Fi Calling was working as expected.

Where I live, EE provide weak indoor coverage and okay outdoor coverage, but iD (Three UK) provide nil indoor coverage and poor outdoor coverage. I rely on the iD Wi-Fi Calling service to use my smartphone at home - important during this pandemic.

In addition, it might be worth trying the following process (again):

1) Power down your phone
2) Remove the SIM and clean the contacts
3) Wait 15 minutes, reinsert the SIM and power the phone back on.

If you’re still having issues, try performing a network reset:

Android

Settings > General management or System > Reset > Reset network settings

iPhone

Settings > Reset > Reset Network Settings

The network reset will delete all saved Wi-Fi networks from your phone, so you'll need to set these up again.

Good luck anyway!

Thanks for the response.

A replacement SIM has arrived today, which worked immediately when installed, so I think we’re good to go!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Superb @rpb424!

Thanks very much for letting us know.

Will

Why iD Mobile?