Question

Wifi calling on ID

• 24 August 2023
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I'm in the process of moving my number over from Three.

At the moment when I am inside my flat I use the WiFi calling feature, as the signal indoor is weak.

Can I assume that the WiFi calling would work the same with ID, since it is the same (three) network and same device?

Thanks, Julio

18 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Provided your handset has been listed as approved by iD for their network @JulioP, and has a “Yes” for both “iD 4G Calling” and “iD WiFi Calling”.

Check online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.
🤞

Userlevel 1

Hi @andewhite actually my specific model is not listed (that list is not very exhaustive tbf), but others models from the same maker are listed, I don't think that should be an issue, since it is a network feature..

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps @JulioP
As I recall, Three provided a WiFi Calling service well before it was first available with iD Mobile. 
🤞

Userlevel 1

I'll let you know how it goes once I try @andewhite . I'm sure inside my flat I'll have a weak signal so WiFi calling is important.

I signed a 12 month's contract, but I guess I can always cancel during the 30 days cooling period if it doesn't work 🤷🏻‍♂️

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hope you get WiFi Calling working in your location @JulioP

My home’s in a mobile not-spot, so I rely on WiFi Calling service at home. 
WiFi Calling has worked great for me.

When I joined iD Mobile, WiFi Calling wasn’t widely supported on Android handsets. So, I changed to iPhone, which widely supported for WiFi Calling with most UK service providers.

🤞

Userlevel 1

Thanks @andewhite 

Other than that you happy with ID so far?

I am expecting it to be pretty much the same than being with Three.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Well @JulioP, I’ve found iD Mobile services are great when everything is working okay, but iD can sometimes be very frustrating when you need their help & support with network issues.

Userlevel 1

Well Three are a disgrace now @andewhite.

They scrapped roaming and the recent upgrade of their system is dreadful, I am currently unable to access my account on the app or website.

So, time to go!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I use a SMARTY data only SIM plan for my laptop. 
Online account seems reliable, and SMARTY have inclusive EU roaming with their SIM plans.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JulioP 

If your device isn’t shown on the approved devices list then we wouldn’t officially support it for our services, it may work but it may not work for all services.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Running some tests with both SIMs in while I'm in the office.

Looks like it is going to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JulioP 

Glad to see it’ll be working for you.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi @Tom 

My number is migrating to ID today, my Three SIM appears to be disconnected since a couple of hours ago.

How long is the gap since the disconnection from previous provider and the switch of the number to ID?

Thanks, Julio 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @Tom 

My number is migrating to ID today, my Three SIM appears to be disconnected since a couple of hours ago.

How long is the gap since the disconnection from previous provider and the switch of the number to ID?

Thanks, Julio 

Hey @JulioP, when I transferred my number to iD Mobile, there was a period of around 5-hours between my old SIM becoming inactive, and the number I wanted to keep working with my iD SIM card at about 3pm.

However, the online iD switching advice page states it can take until 10pm for the transfer to be completed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JulioP 

Ports can take up to 10pm on the date they’re due to complete, how are you getting on?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi @Tom ,

The phone number migration completed yesterday around 5pm and all is good.  I can make calls and receive texts using my number as usual.

I still see the (ID) phone number that was in the new SIM on my phone settings though. 

I had both SIMs in (old and new) at the same time, prior to the port date, so maybe that's why.

I wonder if I should change that myself manually or it will automatically adjust? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @Tom ,

The phone number migration completed yesterday around 5pm and all is good.  I can make calls and receive texts using my number as usual.

I still see the (ID) phone number that was in the new SIM on my phone settings though. 

I had both SIMs in (old and new) at the same time, prior to the port date, so maybe that's why.

I wonder if I should change that myself manually or it will automatically adjust? 

A NETWORK RESET seems to sometimes fix this @JulioP
Another trick, which appears to work sometimes, is to check / edit the mobile phone number in your online Google account - i.e. the account used to login in to Android on your device. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JulioP 

It may update itself overtime, if calls/texts can be made from the correct number the number shown here shouldn’t affect anything, however it could be worth a network reset as @andewhite suggests.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?