Solved

WiFi Calling Samsung S20

WiFi Calling works very well on my phone  ..  when it is working!  Very often it just doesn't, no little symbol in the corner of the screen.   But it is activated on my phone and I have a full WiFi signal, but very little network signal.  Why is it not working? 

Samsung offers no help, but I have told to try flight mode (with WiFi turned back on), this makes no difference. 

This is extremely frustrating! 

icon

Best answer by Kash 28 March 2023, 13:24

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @DTx,

Just to confirm, when Flight mode is on and WiFi Calling is on, does the phone get a WiFi Calling connection or does this not pick up?

Where did you get the device from?

Mohammed

Hi Mohammed. 

At home, the network signal  is dire. So I got a phone that has WiFi Calling and subscribed to ID that offers it. 

Most of time there is the symbol for WiFi Calling showing. Some of the time there isn't and there seems no way to make it work.

It has been suggested to me that if I go to flight mode (with WiFi turned on), there would be no conflict with the network signal and WiFi Calling would be forced on.  This doesn't seem to happen.

At some random point WiFi Calling will come back on, no obvious reason why!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @DTx

Which device are you using?

Are you able to try your iD Mobile SIM in another device to see if the issue persists?

Does the issue occur on multiple Wi-Fi networks or just the one?

Tom

Hi Tom

My phone is a Samsung S20.  I don't have another phone to try hut I might have soon.

TBH I have not noticed it on other WiFi networks as in most places away room home, there is a decent network signal.

The WiFi signal at home is superfast so I wouldn't think that is the issue & with the previous router I used there was the same problem.  Do you think it might be my phone?

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @DTx 

The Samsung S20 should work just fine with us, it can be worth checking the settings in the device itself to make sure that Wi-Fi calling is enabled and selected where it can be.

Are you able to test the iD Mobile SIM in another Wi-Fi calling supported device to see if the issue persists?

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

Tom

The S20 is set up correctly (?) as WiFi Calling does work sometimes. 

I don't have another Android phone to try the SIM in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@DTx,

Can I check if the latest update is installed on the handset?

Was it working all the time in the past or has it always been that way?

Have you tried resetting your network settings? After resetting network settings, reconnect to your Wi-Fi network, then see if Wi-Fi calling stays on (you may need to enable Wi-Fi calling again).

Kash

Hi Kash

Yes the phone was updated just this week. WiFi Calling has always been a bit erratic. 

I have reset my network settings, we will see how we get on.

Thanks for the tip.

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @DTx,

Just checking how you got on with this?

Kash

Hi Kash.  I did reset the settings and it did seem much better.  Although I have just checked my phone and the WiFi Calling symbol is not there.  I am abroad, don't know if that makes a difference? 

I will keep an eye on it when I get home.

David 

PS I did try to find the thread on the website in order to thank you but couldn't. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @DTx,

Let us know how you get on when you get back into the UK and with WiFi Calling.

Mohammed

It does seem to work all the time now, thanks to all who have helped.

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @DTx 

Glad to hear this, please let us know on the Community if you need anything else.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?