Solved

WIFI Calling using Samsung A53 5G

• 21 November 2023
  • 17 replies

According to ID mobile Wi-fi calling is supported.  According to Samsung, my A53 5G supports wi-fi calling.  However I cannot connect because the wi-fi Icon does not appear on my mobile.  Everything is up to date.  Any help would be appreciated as I live in an area where all mobile network signals aren’t reliable.

icon

Best answer by Tom 22 November 2023, 15:37

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Is the Wi-Fi Calling option turned on  your handset @Guzbry?

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-activate-wifi-calling-on-a-galaxy-smartphone/

Perhaps this online article might help.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Try turning airplane mode on and then WiFi and see if the WiFi calling symbol appears. For some reason, WiFi calling only activates on my Samsung S21 when the signal is very low when connected to iD Mobile. It would work continuously when on EE. Not ideal.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Try turning airplane mode on and then WiFi and see if the WiFi calling symbol appears. For some reason, WiFi calling only activates on my Samsung S21 when the signal is very low when connected to iD Mobile. It would work continuously when on EE. Not ideal.

It’s a pity iD Mobile don’t provide an option to prefer Wi-Fi Calling, which is available on many Android devices if you’re using the EE network. 

Andewhite and Toby Field,  there is no Icon on my phone.  The link you gave me I had already checked, no help. Tried the airplane mode, that doesn’t work either.  I’m thinking that maybe Samsung lied???

Very frustrating.  Thanks for the responses.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps iD Mobile don’t support Android Wi-Fi Calling with the A53 5G handset @Guzbry

Check online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

Scroll down to the Samsung section - the A53 is listed and NOT the A53 5G, which seems odd as these devices can’t be hugely different.

Userlevel 3
Badge

My wife has an A53 5G on O2. The iPhone supports it, maybe not the iD network then

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

My wife has an A53 5G on O2. The iPhone supports it, maybe not the iD network then

I know iD WiFi Calling works reliably on my son’s Pixel 6a and my daughter’s Galaxy S10.

Anyway, I switched from Android to iPhone in 2018 because all the UK mobile network operators (MNO) support WiFi Calling with iPhone handsets. iD Mobile might have been one of the first MVNO companies to offer a WiFi Calling service. I need a reliable WiFi Calling service in my mobile not-spot. 

Perhaps operator support for iPhone WiFi Calling is better than on Android - possibly because of Apple’s huge share of the UK smartphone market. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Guzbry 

Does no Wi-Fi icon show on your device at all when connected to Wi-Fi? Does it show 5G/4G/3G instead?

Tom

Hi Tom,  I spoke to Samsung earlier.  It would appear that I am ignorant of the way that wi-fi calling works!!!  When I called them the Wi-fi phone symbol appeared on my phone and then went off a minute later.  I was reliably informed that wifi only works when no or a very weak signal is detected.  Not a lot of good for receiving calls as I am still missing calls.  Contrary to a lot of the information available on the web the Wi-Fi calling symbol does not appear under wifi under Connections.  You have to click on the phone icon, click on the 3 dots and select ‘Settings’ and there you will see the wi-fi calling button which I switched on when I first bought the phone ages ago.  It does say use wifi to make and receive calls.

Why am I missing calls?

Thanks for responding and maybe you can answer the last question.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Why am I missing calls?

Thanks for responding and maybe you can answer the last question.

Okay @Guzbry, in an ideal world there’d be a prefer Wi-Fi Calling option in the Android settings, but iD Mobile can’t / won’t provide this facility. 

Check out the “A better way to use WiFi Calling” forum topic, which hopefully helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Guzbry 

In any case with us Wi-Fi calling would be selected automatically when it is the stronger signal, if your regular signal is stronger, that’ll be chosen. You shouldn’t be missing calls, have you tried with Wi-Fi calling off?

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @Guzbry 

In any case with us Wi-Fi calling would be selected automatically when it is the stronger signal, if your regular signal is stronger, that’ll be chosen. You shouldn’t be missing calls, have you tried with Wi-Fi calling off?

Tom

The issue reported by @Guzbry, seems to be that the iD Mobile WiFi Calling service is not chosen automatically whenever the mobile network signal is very weak. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

The device would automatically switch between Wi-Fi and standard network calling based on what it believes to be the stronger signal.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @andewhite 

The device would automatically switch between Wi-Fi and standard network calling based on what it believes to be the stronger signal.

Tom

Okay, thanks @Tom.

Thanks for all the replies.  It would seem that this system needs  a major upgrade.  We should be able to make and receive wifi calls when we are at home.  Ideally our phone should switch automatically to wifi calling.  Currently there is a major problem regarding a poor signal and when the phone switches to wifi because I am missing calls.  Not good when you are self employed!  Also I can’t enter any telephone competitions.

I’m sure this is an easy fix but for some reason no one wants to do it!

Guzbry

I have am Samsung handset also.

The only way you can guarantee a WIFI CALLING signal is to switch the phone into AIRPLANE MODE when you are at home and select WIFI CALLING enabled. I do this when I am at home to guarantee a strong signal. Ensuring the phone is connected the WIFI internet.

When I leave the house I just switch AIRPLANE MODE off and then selects the mobile mast signal when I am outdoors.

Its not just with ID MOBILE / 3…. I have had this issue with a Samsung handset on VODAFONE and EE!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

My spouse uses a Samsung Galaxy S10 on EE and has a setting to prefer Wi-Fi Calling, which works nicely. 

If the carrier (mobile service provider) doesn’t provide a prefer Wi-Fi Calling option, perhaps best solution is to use the work-around described by @Anthonygb

Why iD Mobile?