How do I report fraud?

Userlevel 8
Badge

If you believe an iD Mobile account has fraudulently purchased in your name, then please contact us so that our fraud team can investigate it.

Before you contact us we will need a Crime Reference Number from you to report this, if you don't have one then please head over to the Action Fraud website or give them a call on 0300 123 2040.

If you already have a Crime Reference Number then we can go ahead and get started. To speak to an agent click here.

23 replies

Userlevel 1

My husband has been a victim of identity fraud and ID mobile have allowed this little toad to take out to contacts in similar details. We have only recently found this out as we have applied for a mortgage. 

These have not been paid and are now default payments on my husbands credit file. This means we are now unable to get a mortgage!! We have approached Equifax to ask for them to remove these and we have approached ID mobile. We have been trying for two weeks. Today they have no told me it can take up to 45 days for this to be removed from the credit report. In that time we will lose the house we wish to buy! 

We are so upset and frustrated with this. It should be harder to take out a phone contact. What checks are being done considering the details they have given to open this account are similar to my husband's but not the same and the address is somewhere we have NEVER lived! 

You make it so easy for these people to behave fraudulently but not as helpful when asked to remove these when they do not belong to you. We are kind, hardworking people who are being punished for others criminal behaviour. 

Please can you rush this through so we can buy our house!  

Userlevel 2

Hi Laura 

I just want to say I feel your anger and confusion over this issue. How can fraudulent contracts be set up in less time than it takes to contact a service provider???. Although I wasn’t applying for something as important and life changing as a mortgage at the time my levels of frustration were equal to yours when I started trying to communicate with ID mobile to get the issues of fraud sorted. Just like yourself I can’t understand why companies like ID mobile allow these fraudulent contracts to be so easily obtained. The details these fraudsters use are usually similar but not exactly the same as the stolen identity, also the bank accounts seem to have no connection to the names and addresses being used. I truly believe there is a legal case to be made by legitimate people against companies like ID mobile that allow this to happen at the expense of honest people and then allow the fraudulent user to continue using the phone and contract for 45 days or more!!??. This company and many others these days don’t even have a way to contact customer support in the event of any problem the general public may have. It’s a Shameful display of modern day businesses practices by companies like ID mobile. 

Userlevel 2

Keep on trying to get this removed from your credit history. It does eventually happen (no credit to ID Mobile) but unfortunately requires persistence and patience on behalf of the victim. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your support

It really just baffles me how easy it is to get a fraudulent account but how hard it is to get it removed? 

We did contact Equifax 2 weeks ago and they said 28days. Hopefully it will happen with in the next week. I will keep on the case. And I am considering taking it further as it just isn't right how common this is. 

Thank you again 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Laura Dawkins,

We are sorry to hear that you have been a victim of fraud.

Please let us know if you require further assistance with your case and we can PM you.

Kash

My wife and I have each received Final Demand Notices from iD Mobile yet neither of us have ever held accounts with iD Mobile.  We have reported this to Action Fraud.  Please advise how this matter can be resolved. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Andy Holt 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Userlevel 1

My story is identical to these reports. Five days ago I received a final demand notice from ID Mobile, a company I had never heard of or had any dealings with. I contacted them, was diverted to another website to obtain a crime reference number and then got back to ID mobile again. They need up to 45 days to retract something that should never have been able to happen.  How is it possible to set up phone contract without showing that your address, bank details and email all match up?

This is deeply distressing and is also threatening to jeopardize my own mortgage application. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Christopher James 

Glad to hear that this has already been reported to us, the fraud team should be in contact with you within 30 days.

While we do what we can on our side with security checks there are unfortunately some that slip through the cracks, we suggest and recommend people to take security of their personal information seriously and ensure that no private information and details are shared publicly on the internet.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Well, I look forward to hearing from your fraud team as soon as possible and resolving this matter.

Looking at my credit file there was a soft search carried out by Carphonewarehouse ID mobile on 5/4/23, without my knowledge of course. This is presumably the date the fraudster procured their phone using my name and an old address (we had moved house in Feb). I have to wonder what information they provided you that was accepted by your procedures. Surely an insistence on a photo ID like a driving license would have shown up a mismatch and stopped the fraudster?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Christopher James,

You aren’t requied for Photo ID to purchase a contract in the UK. 

This is only normally requested if there is a flag on the account or details have been used fraudulently previously.

Mohammed

Another victim here - received a Final Demand for £69.98. I had never heard of ID Mobile until this letter arrived. Reported to Action Fraud. ID Mobile Live Chat useless - “our systems are down, try again in 24 hours”.

Userlevel 1

Hi Normie, sorry to hear it happened to you - it is a violation. My "Final Demand" notice was for £69.98 also. ID Mobile will ask you for a crime reference number from an organisation called ActionFraud. Their website is quite complex but I got a helpful talkdown over the phone with them and was able to raise the number to present back to ID Mobile. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Another victim here - received a Final Demand for £69.98. I had never heard of ID Mobile until this letter arrived. Reported to Action Fraud. ID Mobile Live Chat useless - “our systems are down, try again in 24 hours”.

Hey @normie

Have you since been able to report this or did you still need help? We can PM you here and log the fraudulent account if needed.

Mohammed

Hi Mohammed,

I’ve not been able to report the issue to ID Mobile - I’ve been away all weekend. So would very much appreciate a PM to start the process.

Regards,

Normie

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @normie,

No problem, 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Mohammed

Can someone help me as someone took a phone out in my name with my old address when I moved out, impacting my credit score so bad and can’t get a number to speak with to get this sorted out I’ve private messages already hopefully someone can get in contact soon! 

Userlevel 1

This happened to me. The fraudster used my old address. Fortunately I had a forwarding service so a default letter from ID mobile arrived as well as odd things on my credit file. Raise the case with ActionFraud and then get back to ID mobile. They work through Chat so you can't phone them. Within about 3 weeks the problem seemed to be resolved and the default disappeared from my credit file so it does work. Good luck 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Lyndsey Fraser,

Welcome to the Community!

We are sorry to hear about this.

Have you managed to get assistance with this? Which team have you privately messaged?

Kash

I just clicked on private message so I don’t know, I’m going to get in touch with 101 and report it as I’m in Scotland and the action fraud doesn’t deal with Scotland then when I get a reference number i will pass it on, can u private mail me so I know where to reply too please thanks again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Lyndsey Fraser,

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Mohammed

I have had my bank account hacked and have cancelled my card but have subsequently been sent out a mobile phone and sim in my name and then a text the next day with the courier wanting to collect it again. Please help

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ITSARAMPAGE,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?