Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

447 replies

Dear Kash,

Any chance of some help with the points I have raised? I really cannot get going with the SIM card as is!

Best regards.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Jeremy Drake,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Will

I have just got a new pixel 6 and I am getting no service (Just an exclamation mark in the signal strength triangle). I know the network signal is ok as I was on smarty which also use 3 and that works.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Rob Slack 

Have you updated the phones firmware? I believe they pushed an update that fixed the issue.

yeah I have done all the updates on the phone

I have also put the sum in my old phone and it still does not work

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Rob Slack ,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Hello, 

I have recently moved country but need to keep my old UK number for banking etc. I recently purchased a pay as you go ID sim and want to switch my current ID number to this new sim card. 

I cant find the number for the new sim card anywhere and the sim doesnt seem to be working in any of my devices in order for me to get it. How am I able to do this? I have a pac code etc. 

Thanks,

Siobhan

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @sr411,

As we don’t accept our own PAC codes, you’d be best getting a Pay As You Go SIM for another network to place your number onto in this type of scenario.

Will

I've received a new phone (pixel 6) and have put in the sim it arrived with, but it keeps saying no sim

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Sarah Bell,

Please ensure that the Pixel 6 has the most up to date software installed.

Once installed please try the SIM again and hopefully it should be working for you.

Kash

I've tried all of the above and my new SIM still isn't working in my new phone. It says there is no SIM inserted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Carly Pullen,

Which handset are you currently using? Does the SIM work in a different handset?

Kash

@Carly Pullen,

Which handset are you currently using? Does the SIM work in a different handset?

Kash

Pixel 6. No the SIM does not work in a different handset. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Carly Pullen,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Hi

We have upgraded from our previous ID contract and have a new sim that we have activated. The old sim stopped working as soon as we upgraded (on Monday) and the new sim won’t work. We have now been 3 days without any service. 
We have tried all the suggestions above but to no avail.

Please assist as soon as possible as we are currently paying for a service we cannot use.

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Tillycat,

Have you tried the new SIM card in a different handset to see how it behaves?

Will

I've tried all of the above and my new SIM still isn't working in my new phone. It says there is no SIM installed

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @JS3001,

Have you tried the new SIM card in a different handset to see how it behaves?

Will

Hi. I just got a new phone and SIM but when I turn my phone on I got this message - SIM 1 not provisioned.

I've tried all the options I can find but doesn't help.

What next,?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@LeedsOtley,

If you have a Dual SIM handset could you please insert the SIM in the other SIM slot?

Your SIM is already activated so it should connect to the network right away. Do you have a number port being processed?

Kash

Thanks for your reply Kash. It turned out the SIM wasn't activated so it's working now.

I just registered with id mobile and the middle of the sim card sent to me was damaged, when I examined it in detail, I realized that the chip part was broken. Really annoying

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @eke,

Sorry to hear that.

We can look at getting a replacement SIM card if you haven’t already had one sent out?

Please let us know if you still require this and we can message you to sort this. 

Mohammed

Ordered replacement sim for lost phone. I have since upgraded and activated sim but it still wont work.

Why iD Mobile?