Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

446 replies

I’ve been sent a pm that I cannot read as I cannot log in, even though my registration was accepted and activated. Keeps coming up with something wrong with my information. This is so frustrating.

Userlevel 1

My SIM card works in my phone. But every now and again I will pick my phone up and it will say 'no SIM card'. A simple restart in the WiFi setting or w phone reboot fixes the issue but why is this happening?

Thanks greesevan, all good now. I had to phone out, then use that phone to phone back in and answer it, it then activated the sim. Never had to do that before on other networks, and a heads up from IdMobile would have helped. I think a lot of phones are dropping out, I find that I am getting calls terminate unexpectedly mid conversation as well. Lets all hope it settles down.

I recently purchased a new pay as you go sim and it’s not working, I’ve tried all the options given like resetting my phone and still nothing so what do I do now?

I’ve received my new iPhone 12 and I’ve inserted my sim inside but it keeps saying no sim. I’ve tried all of the things listed but it still keeps reading as no sim.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @DaniCarter, @Ajmal18, I’d recommend contacting the Live Chat team so they can assist further.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

My SIM card works in my phone. But every now and again I will pick my phone up and it will say 'no SIM card'. A simple restart in the WiFi setting or w phone reboot fixes the issue but why is this happening?

When will someone at ID mobile get back to me?

The OP said If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

I have waited 2 weeks - how much longer do I need to wait?

Hi, because I'm living in the area with poor broadband connection I have used Id unlimited data sim in 4g router. Recently I have bought huawei I cube 4g router and I have no signal. Can you give me a idea how to use my sim card with this router, please? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @stamenkov43,

What colour indicator is showing?

Steady blue: strong signal strength

Steady yellow: weak signal strength

Steady red: no signal 5 Wi-Fi indicator

Kash

Thanks for the reply. Shows red unfortunately. 

Do I need sim card replaced? 

My sim not registering could anyone help me with this please ??

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@stamenkov43,

Do you know if the SIM is compatible with the device?

It may be worth trying the SIM in a handset and checking if it works without any issues.

Kash

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Conleg666,

Are you able to remove the SIM for a few minutes whilst the handset is off and reinsert the SIM then restart the handset?

Kash

New sim arrived today and it is not working. No signal or internet. I have tried everything on the list but still nothing 

Userlevel 1

URGENT! 

Hi, 

I recently got a replacement card a couple days ago. I activated it through the app, but it wasn’t working. So I contacted chat support, who said that there was an error with activating the sim, they said next time contact the chat to activate the sim. I then got another replacement sim today and used the chat to get it activated, but it has still failed! They’ve tried multiple times today! 

I urgently need my sim card for work and general use - it’s been more than 6 days that I’ve not had access to my sim card and its extremely frustrating! They have again failed to help me on the chat function and say that they can order another replacement sim. But this is just going around in circles! 

I’ve tried all the above, but nothing has work - I would REALLY appreciate some urgent help with this, please!! 

Thank you

I upgraded to a new phone on id app the phone came, i activated the sim but it still doesnt work can someone help please

I’ve inserted my new SIM card and carried out all the suggestions. However phone is still displaying ‘No Sim’. 

Upgraded my plan and was sent a new sim. I activated it over 24 hrs ago but I have no sim displaying. I’ve followed the instructions but it still shows no sim. It’s also not being identified in another phone. Please can you advise on what I should do now as I’m without a phone! 
Thanks

I have found a new ID Mobile SIM card that I received a few years ago.  I cannot remember why I requested another the SIM, perhaps they were free at the time. My current SIM is working fine. Can I the give this new SIM to a friend? 

My new SIM card doesn't seem to work. I've tried the various suggestions made and nothing helps. What do I do now?

I have purchased a new phone with a new sim and the sim is not activating. I enter the sim into the new phone and it says “no service”. I have tried all of the recommendations and nothing is working. Please can someone respond quickly as this has been going on for 36 hours and it’s very frustrating. 
Thanks

Rachel 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi all, if you’re having SIM activation issues, I’d recommend contacting the FacebookTwitter or Live Chat teams who should be able to assist further.

Thank you,

Rory

I received a new sim card because i went for the deal £7 a month for 12gb data but it wont allow me to activate the new sim im currently on the 2gb £5 a month sim.

Hi, I received my new iD sim card and was told, as a first time iD customer, it would be automatically activated when I put it in my phone. I had an email that said it would active on Monday 16th May between 10am-8pm. My new iD sim was not recognised by my phone - it said 'no SIM emergency calls only'. My phone is compatible with iD and is unlocked so shouldn't have been a problem. I tried all the trouble shooting options, including trying it in another unlocked, iD compatible phone. It still wasn't recognised. I have now had two days without phone access as my previous O2 sim has stopped working due to me changing my number over to my new iD sim. I am frustrated with iD and the lack of tech support or help line. Please can you help me resolve this issue ASAP.

Why iD Mobile?