Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

446 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi there,

I’ve just got a new sim from ID Mobile but when I put it in, it says No Sim. I’ve restarted my iPhone 13 several times as well as take out the SIM card several times. Any advice would be great. 
Thanks,

Jacob

Hey Jacob, 

You may need to get a replacement SIM and test this as the SIM may be faulty or the connection has failed.

Are you able to visit a Currys store to obtain one?

Mohammed

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Kash ,thanks for the reply. It's a new sim contract so I'm guessing it's faulty. How do I go about getting a new one? 

Hey Garpov, 

You can get a free replacement via Currys which is the quickest way or we can message you here and send a replacement SIM out to you.

Hi, I received a new Galaxy S22 from Mobiles.co.uk. I haven’t been given an ID Mobile number, nor is it printed anywhere on the sim card envelope. When inserted into the phone (or my old phone) the sim card shows as “Unknown”. If I try to make a call, a message pops up on the screen to say that the sim card isn’t registered. I can’t register with ID as I don’t know the phone number. 

I tried the ‘Live Chat’ but just ended up going around in circles with a bot. What can I try next?

For the record, I have tried all of the troubleshooting tips above to no avail. 

Thanks, 

Andy : )

Hey Andy, it may be worth speaking to Mobiles.co.uk as it sounds like your connection may not have processed.  Failing that, you should be able to get a replacement SIM sent out to you and we can activate it or you can pick one up via Currys.

Mohammed

Thanks @Mohammed can I get a replacement sim sent out please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Garpov,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Mohammed

Hi @Kash ,thanks for the reply. It's a new sim contract so I'm guessing it's faulty. How do I go about getting a new one? 

Hey Garpov, 

You can get a free replacement via Currys which is the quickest way or we can message you here and send a replacement SIM out to you.

Hi, I received a new Galaxy S22 from Mobiles.co.uk. I haven’t been given an ID Mobile number, nor is it printed anywhere on the sim card envelope. When inserted into the phone (or my old phone) the sim card shows as “Unknown”. If I try to make a call, a message pops up on the screen to say that the sim card isn’t registered. I can’t register with ID as I don’t know the phone number. 

I tried the ‘Live Chat’ but just ended up going around in circles with a bot. What can I try next?

For the record, I have tried all of the troubleshooting tips above to no avail. 

Thanks, 

Andy : )

Hey Andy, it may be worth speaking to Mobiles.co.uk as it sounds like your connection may not have processed.  Failing that, you should be able to get a replacement SIM sent out to you and we can activate it or you can pick one up via Currys.

Mohammed

Hi again. 

I contacted Mobiles.co.uk and they, in turn, contacted ID. After several phone calls and emails, I’ve been told that they can’t register the SIM on the network and the only solution they can give is that I return the phone and order again. 

As I’ve had the phone for 10 days now, I’ve transferred everything from my old device and sold it. Returning the phone would be a nightmare, as I’d be without a phone in the interim and I will lose a lot of my personal data. 

This solution seems completely over the top when there’s no fault with the phone. I don’t understand why an issue with the SIM card requires a complete return and re-order.

I’m writing here in the hope that there’s an alternative and less stressful resolution. 

Thanks, 

Andy  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @andy78,

The only thing we can do on our end is issue a replacement SIM, however, if there’s an issue with the connection due to the order not being processed correctly, it has to be resolved via their end.

This may be why they are advising of a full return and re-sell as it’s known as.

If you want, I can drop you a PM here to have a look but can’t guarantee anything?

Mohammed

Hey @andy78,

The only thing we can do on our end is issue a replacement SIM, however, if there’s an issue with the connection due to the order not being processed correctly, it has to be resolved via their end.

This may be why they are advising of a full return and re-sell as it’s known as.

If you want, I can drop you a PM here to have a look but can’t guarantee anything?

Mohammed

I’d appreciate it if you could check it out. I’m away for a few days, so I can’t send it back yet anyway. Send me a PM please. 

Thanks for your help : )

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @andy78,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

I have a new SIM only contract. Sim is not working. Checked coverage, checked device is compatible, cleaned SIM. What could be the issue?  Old contract now ended so no connected. Help needed please.

I have checked all these things. Also can't log into the app either. 

Error message states ' SIM not supported on phone. Enter 16 digit password'. What is this ? 

Please can someone contact me directly. I need to get my new sim working asap. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Caroline Codling 

What device are you using with your SIM card?

The error stated suggests we don’t support the device, have you tried it in another device?

Tom

After visiting Currys store for help, we identified my mobile was locked to Vodafone so visited Vodafone store and they help to get the unlock code. Now all sorted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Caroline Codling 

Glad to hear that this is sorted, let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

I received my new device and SIM today and when I insert the SIM it's not registering and still saying insert sim. 

Help please 🥺

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Lucy Cook 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Userlevel 1

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

I have done all the above and my phone is stilling saying emmergency calls o ly, help

Userlevel 1

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

I have done all the above and my phone is stilling saying emmergency calls o ly, help

As ive said done all these

Userlevel 1

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

Have tried all above

Userlevel 1

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

Have tried all above

Done it all

Userlevel 1

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

Have tried all above

Done it all

Want to know if my account is activated

Userlevel 1

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

Have tried all above

Done it all

Want to know if my account is activated

I was told it would be by 1800hrs today, not happy

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Lynda Fishburn 

Please note here on community we aren’t a live chat service so won’t be able to respond to every post quickly.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

well guys I’m having similar issues.

oneplus 8 pro. no sim probs for 2 years +

broke screen, replaced phone, another 8 pro.

old sim doesn’t work in the new phone. 

it initially accepts it, in some sort of restricted mode, no internet.

after a day it no longer detects the sim.

wiping switching reinserting - no sim.

it still works in the old phone. 

other sims all work in the new phone with no issues.

replacement sim:

the same thing happens.

it initially accepts it, in some sort of restricted mode, no internet.

after a day it no longer detects the sim.

I have been having these problems for at least 6 weeks and if it can’t be sorted I’ll have to terminate my account, its cost me money already.

I need to be able to use my sim in my phone, not just in my old phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Huwtdc,

We are sorry to hear this.

It may be worth visiting a Curry’s store so that someone can look into this.

If the SIM is working in another handset and other SIM’s work in the new handset it could be an issue with either.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?