Solved

iMessage and Facetime not working after buying new phone

• 13 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I’ve been with ID for years with the same phone number on a sim-only contract.

My phone broke and I bought a second-hand iPhone. I’ve inserted my old ID SIM card but can’t get iMessage or FaceTime to work.

I can send normal texts, but when I try and turn iMessage on in the message settings it says there has been an error.

I’ve tried turning my phone off and on and on again, checking my number is correct in the message settings (it is).

It just won’t let me move the toggle across to switch iMessage on. 

Any other suggestions very welcome please! Thanks in advance for your help!

(I’m so frustrated with ID. I only had to get a new phone because my previous one I got from them prematurely died after a software update! They’ve been useless, they transferred me to speak to someone, I waited in the queue for 70 minutes and then there was just silence when my call got picked up. Worst service ever. Seems like they’re not bothering to staff their phone line or live chat now either!)

icon

Best answer by Ryan 14 August 2020, 15:42

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @ClaraP,

We are sorry to hear about those issues, it’s not what we like to hear.

It sounds as though the iMessage/FaceTime fault is with the phone’s software/settings, rather than with anything iD Mobile account/network related. Because the phone is second hand, it probably just needs setting up again and just to check, have you been able to sign into your Apple ID just fine? I’ve got a few things for you to try so please can you try each one for me and let us know how it goes?

Firstly, please check your settings for any heading that states “Profiles”. Anything inside this that isn’t iD Mobile related will need deleting.

Next, please head to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. If this doesn’t fix the problem, please try the below steps.

1)    Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2)    Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3)    Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
4)    If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5)    Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6)    Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”. 

If those steps don’t help, try and deregister your iMessage service before setting it back up again on the new iPhone. You can find out how to do this here.

Kind regards,
Ryan

Thanks for trying to help Ryan,

I guess you’re right, it’s more Carphone Warehouse than ID who are to blame for selling me a phone which broke after a software update, being uncontactable and leaving me stuck without a phone . I just thought ID was carphone warehouse’s company.

But I really appreciate you trying to help. Thanks for the tips. I’m afraid I still can’t get iMessage and FaceTime to work. 

In answer to your first question, yes, I have set up an Apple ID ok for my iPhone. It seems to be working fine.

Unfortunately there isn’t a heading called profiles anywhere.

I tried resetting the network settings, but no luck.

I tried the numbered steps, but please note, it won’t  let me turn iMessage off and on. It just comes up with an error when I try and turn it on.

My number is correct.

In step 6 there’s is no send and receive option that you mention.

I have deregistered iMessage and tried to set it back up again but no luck. Could you clarify how I should set it back up though so please? As the link didn’t really explain.

Any other ideas much appreciated, thanks!

Clara

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @ClaraP, if you’re able to get into a Carphone Warehouse store, one of our friends there will be happy to go through this with you, and make sure all applicable services are available to you.

It does sound as though the handset isn’t behaving quite right, so whatever the issue is, they’ll get to the bottom of it for you.

Will

Thanks Will!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

One other thing I can think of that may help is if you’re able to change the numbers registered to your Apple ID by logging into the Apple website.

Please keep us posted on how you get on with that and through the assistance of a Carphone Warehouse though.

Why iD Mobile?