Solved

Data usage

• 1 September 2023
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

So I’ve received my simm and not moved from house yet but my data allowance is going down fast and I’m on my Wi-Fi, why does the ID app record my Wi-Fi usage over 1.5 gig in only few hours  I’m on a 30 day rolling 

icon

Best answer by Chunkey Monkey 1 September 2023, 17:52

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Chunkey Monkey 

The iD Mobile app/website wouldn’t track Wi-Fi usage, only mobile data usage.

The device may track both Wi-Fi usage and mobile data usage.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your answer but no it shouldn’t track and data usage when Wi-Fi is available it never has on previous contracts, if Wi-Fi is connected any data should not come of my mobile data plan full stop 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks for your answer but no it shouldn’t track and data usage when Wi-Fi is available it never has on previous contracts, if Wi-Fi is connected any data should not come of my mobile data plan full stop 

Perhaps there are one or two misconfigured apps on your handset, which use mobile data even when connected to a Wi-Fi network. 

Userlevel 1

Mobile data switched off so no matter what it shouldn’t happen also roaming is set to off , on iPhone when mobile data is set to off no apps can use mobile data 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Indeed @Chunkey Monkey.
Is this an issue that started when you began using an iD SIM card in your iPhone?

Your iD account online would have a record of mobile data usage for each billing period.

Settings > Mobile Data has a record of MOBILE DATA use under “Current Period” app by app.

Perhaps there’ll be some clues there?

Userlevel 1

Explain this phone was on o2 I receive new sim from ID I take o2 card out and place new sim in phone boots up taking approx 20 seconds longer than normal as soon as on home page I load the ID app (already downloaded day before) I register in app and first thing is my 30 gig data plan has dropped to 28.9 gig left  so I go into settings in app and switch everything off relating to data then I go into phone settings and switch off mobile data and reset the counter to zero i then browse internet at home still for 30 mins then notice another 599meh has been taken of my data plan ? 

Userlevel 1

yes this is an issue from the minute the ID sim went into my phone How do you use 1.1 gig of data in the time it takes to log in ? Im sure its ID data downloaded by the sim for settings but that does seem to be a huge file and why should i have there stuff applied to my usage and why when mobile data was set to OFF was it still applying wifi data to my account on ID Also it appears to be behaving now but this just isnt right ID shouldn't apply there settings data to my plan if it is that if not how in the hell does 1.1 gig get used in less than a minute

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Maybe the initial billing period for your iD account is less than one month @Chunkey Monkey, and the mobile data allowance has been adjusted accordingly?

Userlevel 1

@andewhite  now that could well be the answer, it would be nice if ID advised so with the mant welcoming emails Lets see if the monthly charge changes to relate to this

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes @Chunkey Monkey, I guess there are areas where iD Mobile could improve, but IMO they’re a no-frills outfit so you might find one or two inconsistencies and shortcomings. 

When everything works, iD are great value for money.

Userlevel 1

Well it all seems to have settled down now I did a few tests to try and ascertain what was happening but that showed nothing, I then switched mobile data back on and run the same fast (again on Wi-Fi) and all fine so left mobile data on and continued using device yesterday as I would normally do browsing social media and stuff went out for evening more occasional browsing  and now checked mobile data usage on phone and the ID app and used around 110 meg which I would say is probably correct . The all is now not recording Wi-Fi data and all working fine, so no idea how well over 1 gig got used in so short a time but hey ho alls fine now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Chunkey Monkey,

Glad to hear that this is now sorted.

If you require any assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Just waiting on customer services there looking into what that data consists off

Why iD Mobile?