Solved

How do I upgrade to SIM-only?

• 11 August 2020
  • 9 replies

My contract runs out soon and I want to downgrade to sims only. It didn’t give me the option so I bought a sim only card, hoping it would give me the option to connect it to my current plan but it didn’t. How do I connect the Sims card with my number? If that is not possible, how do I return the card? I found the information that I have to return it in a shop but all Carphone Warehouse shops in my area are permanently closed. When was the last time that Live Chat was available?

icon

Best answer by Ryan 12 August 2020, 15:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @jusch12,

You are correct, you cannot link a new SIM card to an existing account. The plan change would need to be made through your account online.
Do you have a Currys PC World store close by? They also can help as long as they have the Carphone Warehouse section present.
Also, have you managed to speak to our Live Chat Team since making your post? If not then let us know so we can help further.

Ryan

I am in the same position as jusch12 above - finding it impossible to get through to anyone or find out how to return the unwanted SIM card.  I had a fruitless 40 minutes on Live Chat yesterday - hopeless.  Today they told me there was a 45 minute waiting time and of course the website then times itself out - unless  you have nothing else to do than sit and look at the screen for 45 minutes, refreshing every so often.  Just tried to contact Currys PC World to return it to them - equally impossible.  The order number I have does not fit the required format!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @clangley 

Are you simply looking to cancel the SIM when your contract would run out?  Or are you looking for a PAC (to move the number with you to another provider)?

Or like Langley above, are you simply looking to move the SIM to being a SIM-only plan?  If the latter.  Then you’ll be able to do this within the iD Mobile App once the contract has expired.  Simply look at Plan Change options there once that time comes.

If it’s a cancellation/ PAC request you’re after.  Then just let us know and we’ll have someone reach out to help further with that.

I want to return the SIM I received today - I do not need it as I have already moved my plan tot a SIM-only plan.  How do I do this please?  As I said I ran up against a problem with the Currys PC World return form as your order number does not fit their format.  WHat do I do?

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @clangley. The SIM you want to return, is that one you took out for a new line, or is it one you received during a SIM only upgrade with us?

Will

The one I took out for a new line

Catherine

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

OK we’ll drop you a Private Message now @clangley to get that cancelled for you.

Will

I’ve just upgraded from my 2 year contract to a sim only deal. Do I have to use the SIM card you sent?, or do I just continue using my phone as normal with my old SIM card in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Satnavgreg,

Best to activate and use the new SIM sent.

The number will just transfer over if you’ve upgraded as the plan will already be updated on the iD app/account.

Though if you want to continue using the old SIM, that’s fine, just don’t accidentally activate the new SIM in the future as this has happened on an occasion or two and may cause you inconvenience if you don’t have direct access to the SIM.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?