Skip to main content
Solved

Trying to move existing pay monthly number with idMobile to new 24 month contract with idMobile

Hi

I’ve got a new 24 month contract with idMobile and received the eSim earlier with a new number which I’m using on a new phone. I have a number on an old phone with a rolling one month contract with idMobile that I’d like to use on the new phone.

I want to transfer that old number to my new contract but can’t see a way to do it (There is no ‘Welcome to IdMobile’ email when I ordered the eSim which I seem to need on the ‘Switch to idMobile’ page … of course, I’m with idMobile already so that’s likely why I haven’t received it). Ideally I’d also like to transfer the current eSim number to the old phone to let my daughter use it as her first phone but I’m aware need to order another physical sim to do that and cancel the monthly contract. 

Main thing is somehow getting my old number working on the new phone. 

13 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

You can’t switch a number from one iD account to another iD account, @Colin Hughes

You’ll need to get a PAC for the number you want to keep and switch to another provider, and then port back to the iD contract you’re planning to keep using.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite  So I’d have to purchase payg credit or a contract from another provider to keep my number?

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

@andewhite  So I’d have to purchase payg credit or a contract from another provider to keep my number?

Unfortunately @Colin Hughes, yes because you can’t transfer the number you want to keep from one iD contract to another iD contract. 

Most, if not all, UK PAYG service providers require addition of credit to their PAYG account when activating their SIM - guess you’d need a little PAYG credit to keep using your number, with your new 24-month minimum term handset contract.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite Right, well that’s awful!  Many thanks for the clarification though.

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

@andewhite Right, well that’s awful!  Many thanks for the clarification though.

Perhaps with hindsight, upgrading your old rolling 1-month iD contract would’ve been better option, @Colin Hughes

Following the iD Mobile upgrade process would’ve allowed you to keep the number.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite Yeah, but the offer I received from doing it separately was a little too tempting sadly :)

I think I’ll just put credit on the GiffGaff sim and let my daughter run that down while I use it to transfer numbers back and forth. One issue I see is that I’m not sure how to transfer that number to idMobile from GiffGaff. Can’t see anything obvious on the website that would let me do that.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite Scrub that, I’m assuming the links at: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/switch will work?

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Okay @Colin Hughes, have you tried sending a text “PAC” to 65075?

Do this from the iD SIM with the number you want to keep.

You might be asked for some security information.

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

@andewhite Scrub that, I’m assuming the links at: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/switch will work?

You can also use https://switching.idmobile.co.uk.

🍀

Userlevel 1

@andewhite Yeah, I’ve done that and started the transfer to GiffGaff. I’m taking it that once I’ve done that and it goes through (on Monday) I just get a PAC from GiffGaff and transfer to idMobile. 

I wonder if the number on the GiffGaff sim just reverts to the old one after all that. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

@andewhite Yeah, I’ve done that and started the transfer to GiffGaff. I’m taking it that once I’ve done that and it goes through (on Monday) I just get a PAC from GiffGaff and transfer to idMobile. 

You can’t usually get a PAC the same day you’ve switched your number, @Colin Hughes

Perhaps leave getting a PAC from giffgaff for 24-48 hours, after they’ve confirmed your switch completed.

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

I wonder if the number on the GiffGaff sim just reverts to the old one after all that. 

Okay @Colin Hughes, when using a PAC to switch service provider, the gaining provider will arrange for your old account to be closed. In this case giffgaff account would be closed.

Likewise, when giffgaff process the PAC from iD, for the number you’re keeping, your iD account will be closed once switch to giffgaff completes.

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @Colin Hughes,

I hope that you managed to get your issue resolved and your query answered.

If there is anything you require assistance with please feel free to PM us.

Kash