Skip to main content
Solved

£5 charge for Roaming.

• 26 May 2024
  • 6 replies

Why have I been charged £5 for roaming in Ireland in my most recent bill? I have a 25 GB allowance and definitely did not go over it. I live in Belfast. 

Hi @Santos73,
Welcome to the Community!

Did you use your services whilst on a Ferry/boat etc?

If so you will be charged for roaming at sea.

However please get back to us with further information and we can assist further.

Kash

No not been on a boat or ferry. Just using data which was within my allowance.

Got through to customer service. That can’t explain why the charge was applied but will refund. Told me a have to set my bill cap to £0 - this should prevent in future but means I can’t make calls while in Ireland.

Not exactly a great response as I don’t want to have to contact customer service every month. Bit disappointed with ID service and coverage in general. Was with Smarty and they run a very slick operation. Don’t just buy based on cost!!

Not exactly a great response as I don’t want to have to contact customer service every month. Bit disappointed with ID service and coverage in general. Was with Smarty and they run a very slick operation. Don’t just buy based on cost!!

Have you saved much by switching from SMARTY to iD Mobile, @Santos73

The iD Mobile inclusive roaming mobile data allowance is much more generous, but otherwise costs seems broadly comparable.

I got the phone at a good deal but but more expensive for calls and data. Not much but service while roaming is not as good. 

Okay, thanks @Santos73.

Yeah, I guess as SMARTY don’t offer handset contracts / plans, for handset + plan you do need to look elsewhere. 

Hi @Santos73,

Have you checked your coverage at the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

Coverage abroad can vary depending on the level of coverage our network partners provide.

Kash