Question

International roaming not working in Australia

• 14 December 2022
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve turned on all roaming features, including international roaming but my phone is still not working.

Can anyone help as I really don’t want to buy another sim!

The networks that come up for me to choose from are: Optus AU, Telstra Mobile and vodafone AU and none of them appear to work?

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Those are iD Mobile’s roaming partners in Australia.

Have you allowed roaming in your iD account?

Is your bill/spend cap greater than £0?

Good luck @Kailey O'Brien.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Kailey O'Brien,

We hope that you managed to get your roaming to work as all the networks mentioned are our Australian network partners, please let us know if you require further assistance.

Kash

Userlevel 1

I did everything I mentioned above plus put the max roaming cap etc but it wouldn’t work. I had to purchase a phone over here!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Kailey O'Brien,

That’s odd. If you were seeing roaming networks from the options it means roaming services were enabled but just needed to increase the cap to allow you to connect.

If you still want help troubleshooting this, let us know and we can PM you. 

Mohammed

Hi I have the same problem and my cap is all OK and paid for, all roaming settings in the app and in my phone are switched on, but all I get is no service or emergency calls only, when I try manual selection of network I get the same names come up but then in brackets it says forbidden. My phone is OK as I have a dual SIM phone and the Australian SIM I bought is working fine. I've been on to customer service a few times and they can't sort it out, but it is difficult because there is no proper email support only phoning which is a problem being 11 hours in front, I have to keep leaving restaurants to phone.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi I have the same problem and my cap is all OK and paid for, all roaming settings in the app and in my phone are switched on, but all I get is no service or emergency calls only, when I try manual selection of network I get the same names come up but then in brackets it says forbidden. My phone is OK as I have a dual SIM phone and the Australian SIM I bought is working fine. I've been on to customer service a few times and they can't sort it out, but it is difficult because there is no proper email support only phoning which is a problem being 11 hours in front, I have to keep leaving restaurants to phone.

Try swapping the SIM cards in your phone @alsey - the iD SIM card might be faulty, or in a faulty slot.

iD Mobile don’t have a telephone support helpline number to call. 

Customer services operates 9am - 8pm on weekdays, and 9am - 6pm at weekends (UK times), and can be contacted via online live chat service (https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat), or get in-touch through Facebook (using Messenger), or Twitter (by DM). 

Thanks but the fact that it changes between no service and emergency calls only and it was working on the stop off in Singapore on the way here both show the sim is OK and the slot. As I said they have a phone number but because of the time difference I have to keep leaving a restaurant to call them but they can't sort it out anyway, the live chat was a total waste of time as they didn't know what they were talking about and they couldn't sort it which is why I ended up having to call the phone number as they don't have a proper email based customer service. But thanks again anyway.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m curious to know what phone number you’ve been using to call iD Mobile from Australia @alsey?

I was in Australia earlier this year, and I used a data only eSIM along with my UK SIM. Just turned OFF mobile data on my UK SIM, and used the cheap data plan on the eSIM, while in Victoria - this setup worked well and did not cost a fortune.

Anyway, good luck @alsey.  

Hi yes as I said I got an Aussie sim and that is great for data but I can't receive calls from UK which is potentially costing me business, the number I have to call is 0800 0491 300 which they emailed me but they refuse to try and sort it out by email, but although I have called and paid upfront on my cap they still can't sort it out. Cheers for your advice anyway.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @alsey, it seems odd they’ve given you this number because iD Mobile don’t provide telephone support. Anyway, in your iD account online:

• Roaming is ON.
  • The BILL CAP is a larger number, e.g. £50.

Did you get a text message from iD Mobile when you arrived in Australia?

Got 3 or more text in Singapore that used up my 25 cap before I got to Australia and now even though I have paid upfront since I have been here for the cap to be raised again they still can't sort it out and yes all roaming is on.

I think they gave me the number as the live chat messed up so bad and this is not the first time ID have cut my phone off as it happened a while ago when my Dad was put in a home on end of life care.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Text messages are free to receive when you’re roaming.

If you’ve reached your account’s bill cap, for the current billing period, unfortunately you’re stuck until your new billing period starts.

The only other option would be iD Mobile increasing your account’s bill cap limit, but I think the maximum bill cap allowed is £75.

As I said I have paid upfront to have the cap increased as they requested and now they don't know why it isn't working.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I don’t think there’s anyway of getting around the bill cap issue if you’ve got a pay monthly iD plan.

Maybe the iD support team could do with more training about out-of-plan usage.

From past experience I agree, I have already given them a 7 day notice that I am going to issue a court summons as I think the only way I will get it sorted is by a judge, they just keep saying things but they never sort it out, so I think if they get enough judgements against them they will do something about their lack of customer service.

Anyway thanks again for your ideas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @alsey 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

I had a similar problem in mauritius, i was unable to make or receive calls. 

I am going to mauritius to live next month, so trying to figure out how i can still get calls on my UK number ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Carl McMullen 

I’m sorry to hear that, is your roaming selected on both the device and the iD Mobile app/website account while logged in?

Have you tried manually selecting a network via the device settings while there instead of automatic network selection?

Has your bill cap been adjusted to a suitable amount?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?