Solved

Roaming charges on Irish Ferries

Userlevel 1

I recently travelled by ferry to Ireland.  I knew not to use my phone but didn't realise that if my phone was on I would incur roaming charges, so an unexpected £24.99 on my bill.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 8 June 2023, 11:54

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Apps on smartphones are usually doing something (in the background) while your phone is on.

Try the “Airplane mode”, to avoid using mobile data while your phone’s on, or set your iD account bill cap to £0, which means only using mobile data from your plan’s allowance.

Userlevel 1

I did read the Ts & Cs on the ferry notice and it said I would need to register in order to connect to the Internet.  Also, I did the same crossing last year (Holyhead to Dublin) and Dover to Calais and did not incur charges.  Obviously, I won't get caught again in future.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I did read the Ts & Cs on the ferry notice and it said I would need to register in order to connect to the Internet.  Also, I did the same crossing last year (Holyhead to Dublin) and Dover to Calais and did not incur charges.  Obviously, I won't get caught again in future.

Was that terms & conditions for onboard Wi-Fi? 

Some ferry operators provide mobile network services onboard, by using links to satellite network services, without the need to register.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Crackerjack 

Roaming while on a ferry would indeed incur extra charges, we’d recommend checking the roaming charges page for full information on this.

As @andewhite mentions even if you don’t directly use it your device may still operate in the background.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/international-and-roaming-charges

It’s also worth taking a look into setting your bill cap to a comfortable amount in the app.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Yes, I get all of above now and have now read all the blurb but it doesn't answer why no charges last year under the same circumstances.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes, I get all of above now and have now read all the blurb but it doesn't answer why no charges last year under the same circumstances.

Was it the same ferry operator?
Has the operator changed or updated the customer facing communications services on their ferries in the last 12-months?

There might be several reasons why didn’t happen 12-months ago.

Userlevel 1

Yes, Irish Ferries.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes, Irish Ferries.

Perhaps the operator changed/updated the way the onboard communication services worked in the last 12-months.

Userlevel 1

Maybe, but you can see why I was complacent.  Anyway, there's no changing my situation but I will be more aware in future.  Also, I raised the topic to hopefully make others aware.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes, onboard charges often seem to catch people unawares - thanks for posting this topic.

Userlevel 1

You are welcome.

Why iD Mobile?