Solved

poor coverage since switching

Userlevel 2

Since switching to ID mobile i have had very poor internet signal.  I have checked coverage in my area -3G, 4G and 5G are supposed to be good.  My phine is a Samsung S20 which is on  approved list of phones for 5G

If i'm lucky i get one vertical bar on the signal icon.  Rarely do i get 5G. 

If something isn't done to improve the service i'll move to another provider. Rather than do that is there anything else i can do?

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 31 May 2023, 13:09

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

33 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

If coverage is poor in your area, then switch to another network. iD Mobile offers up to 30 days to try out their network and if it isn’t suitable, then you can cancel penalty free.

Userlevel 2

Thanks. Ive been with them for just over 30 days.  But i wasn't aware there was a penalty- I'm on a rolling monthly SIM card only deal. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

If you’re on a monthly rolling plan with no minimum commitment then yes, you can leave anytime penalty free.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nicky999 

I’m sorry to hear the signal with us hasn’t been what you expected, our estimated signal coverage can be found at the link here, as well as any outages.

If you’re experiencing signal that’s different to what the coverage/outage checker would suggest please let us know the postcode so we can take a look.

Tom

Userlevel 2

The url link doesn't work

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nicky999 

I’ve just tried the hyperlink and it’s worked just fine, have you tried on another device?

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

Tom

Userlevel 2

Doesn't work on this device or another i tried  Also searched for coverage checker on your website.  Couldn't get into the checker. But before i submitted my enquiry i did get into it and was told for my postcode coverage was good. My postcode is NE30 2SG. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nicky999 

Taking a look at the postcode on the coverage checker the area should be good for 4G usage, however does have some weak spots around that could affect the direct area of NE30 2SG, 5G would be very weak, I’d recommend against 5G here.

Should the coverage not be quite what you expected it might be worth looking into a return (if within your first 30 days) or cancellation, let us know if you require any assistance with this.

Tom

Userlevel 2

Thanks.  It wouldn't be so bad if 4g coverage was good but that isn't either. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nicky999 

Unfortunately in the area of NE30 2SG we would expect some issues with 4G coverage here, sorry about this.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Not happy with the quality of the Internet connections on I'd mobile. Since switching from 3 it's terrible..  wish I'd never moved 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Razdave,

We are sorry to hear that.

You can check the coverage and network status using the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

If you purchased directly from iD Mobile you have a 30 day returns policy which means that you can return the contract if you aren’t happy with the coverage.

Kash

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Not happy with the quality of the Internet connections on I'd mobile. Since switching from 3 it's terrible..  wish I'd never moved 

It really shouldn’t be any better, or worse than being with Three UK @Razdave

Being an MVNO business, iD Mobile partner with Three UK in order provide iD Mobile services.

Have you changed handsets when you joined iD Mobile @Razdave
If you did, then perhaps the signal antenna in your new handset aren’t as good as those your old handset.

Userlevel 1

Changed from an s20 to an s23 so should be better I'd of thought 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Changed from an s20 to an s23 so should be better I'd of thought 

You’d hope so wouldn’t you. 
Have you checked the Samsung online community for any tips for fixing this type of issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Razdave 

The signal you have with iD Mobile and Three UK shouldn’t be different, we use their signal network.

Please could you let us know the postcode(s) where you’re having issues?

Tom

Userlevel 1

I'm travelling a lot around uk and the signal seems really poor everywhere

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I'm travelling a lot around uk and the signal seems really poor everywhere

But signal was okay when you were using the iD SIM in your Galaxy S20?

Userlevel 1

Didn't use s20 on id mobile.it was on 3 and never had a problem 

Userlevel 1

Lots of people saying aeriel on s23 is poor so it struggles.. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Then you have an issue with your device. iD Mobile uses the Three network and so coverage is identical across both networks. My S21 Ultra had issues with signal strength and that was my last Samsung! 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

3 and iD Mobile use exactly the same mobile network infrastructure, so the network signal available at any given location would be exactly the same on 3 and iD Mobile, as mentioned by @WelshPaul.

If your Galaxy S20 worked okay on 3, then it would also work okay on iD Mobile. 

Seeing how Samsung advertise picture taking aspects of their Galaxy S23, then perhaps capabilities of its aerial have been neglected.

Userlevel 1

So what do I do with a phone that's not fit for purpose.. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Send it off for repair under warranty? If it has poor signal due to design or because of the chip it uses then maybe sell it and buy something better with the money you get for it.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Music Magpie will pay £380 for a working S23 (128GB) in what they describe as excellent condition (as below).

• Can have few faint signs of wear on screen and/or body
  • Screen – no defective pixels (e.g screen burn, dead pixels, liquid damage) and the touchscreen works.
  • Battery health above 80%
  • All parts of the device are fully working
Why iD Mobile?