Solved

Get Started / Registration problems

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have just signed up to ID Mobile. I applied online, said I wanted to keep my existing number, provided a PAC Code by texting 65075 entered a switch date of 14 Aug. I then received 6 emails including:

Welcome,

Order Number

Plan Details and Get Started

Direct Debit setup confirmation

The Plan details email has a GET STARTED Button, that takes you to “How do I get started with ID” in this forum. Step 1 has a link to ID Account. The link doesn’t work, has an error message “We're Sorry ....but the link you have clicked is either incorrect, or no longer available.”

I find the register page anyway, it requires Phone number, Last Name and Year(not Date) of Birth. It doesn’t accept my combination of my phone number, last name and YOB. It does accept my last name, YOB and a phone number given in the Plan Detail email, presumably a new SIM number. However I don’t have that SIM, I had specifically asked to carry on using my existing number. So I am unable to receive the 8 digit security code and therefore unable to register and check the details that IDM has used to set up my account, which their emails ask me to do. Not a good start.

Questions

Why has IDM assigned me a new number when I asked to continue using my existing number, sent them the PAC code and switch date in the application?

Why have IDM not confirmed my switch date and that I am keeping my existing number?

Do I have to wait until 14 August before I can set up an ID Account and check my details

Am I going to have continuity of mobile access on my existing number, or am I going to lose it on 14 August.

Thanks for any answers

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 24 July 2023, 14:17

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi,

I have just signed up to ID Mobile. I applied online, said I wanted to keep my existing number, provided a PAC Code by texting 65075 entered a switch date of 14 Aug. I then received 6 emails including:

Welcome,

Order Number

Plan Details and Get Started

Direct Debit setup confirmation

The Plan details email has a GET STARTED Button, that takes you to “How do I get started with ID” in this forum. Step 1 has a link to ID Account. The link doesn’t work, has an error message “We're Sorry ....but the link you have clicked is either incorrect, or no longer available.”

I find the register page anyway, it requires Phone number, Last Name and Year(not Date) of Birth. It doesn’t accept my combination of my phone number, last name and YOB. It does accept my last name, YOB and a phone number given in the Plan Detail email, presumably a new SIM number. However I don’t have that SIM, I had specifically asked to carry on using my existing number. So I am unable to receive the 8 digit security code and therefore unable to register and check the details that IDM has used to set up my account, which their emails ask me to do. Not a good start.

Questions

Why has IDM assigned me a new number when I asked to continue using my existing number, sent them the PAC code and switch date in the application?

Why have IDM not confirmed my switch date and that I am keeping my existing number?

Do I have to wait until 14 August before I can set up an ID Account and check my details

Am I going to have continuity of mobile access on my existing number, or am I going to lose it on 14 August.

Thanks for any answers

Hey @Slapdash, I can hopefully answe these questions for oyu.

1. All contracts with all networks are assigned a number when first connected. It is not possible to connect a number with a PAC Code, since PAC codes are used to replace a number on a contract. We therefore connect your SIM with a temporary number, then your number will switch over on the switch date you selected.
  2. Your switch date is selected and confirmed at the time of the order. Whatever date you selected is the date this will complete on.
  3. YOu can setup an iD Mobile account as soon as you have the iD SIM. You need to make sure you are entering the current connected iD Mobile number, account holder’s last name and year of birth. We then send a code to the iD SIM (which needs to be in a phone to receive). Enter this code to complete setup. Once the number switches over, the account updates and will show your number you kept.

Is 14th August the date you selected for your switch?

If so, you will have iD service running with the temporary number until then as well as your old network running on their SIM until then.

On the day of the switch (assuming it’s 14th August) you will notice some loss of service or disruption on your old SIM. Once it’s switched, your old SIM stops working and your iD SIM will have the number you kept.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi Mohammed ,

Thanks for taking the time to cleary answer my questions.

Can I suggest that ID Mobile sends out your information out to new customers when they join ID Mobile, it would save a lot of confusion, frustration and free up time for employees like you to answer other customers problems.

Thank yuo again.

Slapdash

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I agree @Slapdash. The iD approach of getting a new customer’s PAC at the point-of-purchase seems to lead to confusion. 

You’ve got to wonder why are iD Mobile doing this - especially given that as @Mohammed points out, you cannot assign the number you want to keep to your iD account, while the number is still being used by your old service provider. 

I’d suggest iD need to reconsider.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @andewhite. I would have thought that most new ID Mobile Customers will be switching from other providers, to get a better deal, rather than be brand new mobile users. I am coming from Plusnet, who have just informed me that they are discontinuing their mobile services, and trying to get Plusnet Mobile Users to move to their more expensive EE and BT Mobile services. Plusnet has been my only previous switch, about 7 years ago, and to be honest I had completely forgotten the processes involved. So thanks again  @Mohammed for so cleary explaining them, but it shouldn’t be your job, it should be on the joining info.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes, if you’re coming to iD for a better deal, you’ll often be using a PAC or STAC. I think iD ask for the PAC at point-of-purchase to make it harder for someone to cancel their order in the cooling off period, but perhaps this is just my cynical view of the iD approach. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for your feedback.

We’re hoping to improve the switching process and form overall but it’s just something that’s in the pipeline and taking a bit of time to implement due to other changes also.

@andewhite on the contrary, asking for a PAC at the point of purchase is simply to speed up the switching and making it easier for customers to switch and keep their number.

More so because we also let a user select their preferred date.

But I do agree that it needs some improvements still and appreciate the feedback.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

We’re hoping to improve the switching process and form overall but it’s just something that’s in the pipeline and taking a bit of time to implement due to other changes also.

@andewhite on the contrary, asking for a PAC at the point of purchase is simply to speed up the switching and making it easier for customers to switch and keep their number.

But I do agree that it needs some improvements still and appreciate the feedback.

Mohammed

Thanks for the feedback @Mohammed

Is providing your PAC at the point-of-purchase optional @Mohammed?

If it’s optional, do iD Mobile ‘nudge’ the new customer to provide their PAC?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Mohammed

Thanks for the feedback @Mohammed

Is providing your PAC at the point-of-purchase optional @Mohammed?

If it’s optional, do iD Mobile ‘nudge’ the new customer to provide their PAC?

Completely optional and we don’t nudge in any way.

In fact, I believe when making the purchase you are presented with 2 options.

1 being to submit the PAC code and switch request now and the other being to do it later after purchase/not at all.

Furthermore, alot of this information on ports is also clarified in the Welcome to iD email sent.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Mohammed.

FYI, my Welcome to iD email only arrived in my Inbox about one-month after I joined iD Mobile.
🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Very odd, though I think there have been alot of changes to this since, or is this a more recent one?

Mohammed

Hi Mohammed,

I’ve followed the advice described here using the number ID sent me and also and tried my old number because I got the message below. Neither work. Please can you help?

Your iD mobile number is the one we've given you, unless you've ported a number in from your old network (if so, use that one).

Thanks,

Cazzel

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi Mohammed,

I’ve followed the advice described here using the number ID sent me and also and tried my old number because I got the message below. Neither work. Please can you help?

Your iD mobile number is the one we've given you, unless you've ported a number in from your old network (if so, use that one).

Thanks,

Cazzel

If you’ve just transferred your number to iD Mobile, it seems that sometimes it takes 24-48 hours before the iD online systems recognise the port was completed.

It may be worth waiting a day or two, if you’ve just switched to iD, before trying to register to manage your iD account online. 
🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Cazzel 

Where does it give you this error? Are you trying to register to the website/app and getting this?

Is this on the port form?

Tom

Thanks for the replies. It’s on the register page. Just tried it again with both numbers and still not working. I ported the number on Saturday

thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Cazzel,

Ports don’t complete on weekends so this could be the issue here.

What date did you select to keep your number for?

Mohammed

Hi, I’ve got it sorted now! Thank you for the replies 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Cazzel 

Glad to hear that, let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?