Solved

Username and password accepted by website but rejecte by iOS app

Having logged in to the ID Mobile website successfully and set up my account, I cannot log in to the ID Mobile app on either of my iOS devices. Despite the same username and password working successfully when logging in to the website, the ID Mobile app keeps giving an “incorrect username/password” error.

Why would the username be accepted by the website but rejected by the app? Do I need to change my password in order for the app to work?

icon

Best answer by ProfessorJay 4 January 2023, 12:34

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @ProfessorJay 

There shouldn’t be any error given when logging in specifically with iOS, as long as the details inputted are the same they should work across any iD Mobile app or the website, are you making sure that any automatic password entry feature isn’t interrupting the process?

Are you able to log in via a browser on the iOS device?

Tom

Yes, I can log in via a web browser on the same devices using the same username and password, but the app always rejects it and keeps locking me out for 30 minute stretches. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @ProfessorJay,

Check if you have any password managers active as they may be changing the password and entering a saved one.

Try uninstalling and re-installing the app also.

Mohammed

I do use a password manager — 1Password — but the stored password is accepted by the website. Using iCloud Keychain as an alternative didn’t work. Neither did uninstalling and reinstalling the app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @ProfessorJay 

I’d recommend avoiding the use of 1Password just this time to see if this is possibly causing any issues.

Tom

No difference with iCloud Keychain unfortunately: fine on the website but won’t let me log in to the app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @ProfessorJay,

Are you able to enter the password manually without the use of any password manager?

It sounds like this is causing a different password to be entered into the field.

Mohammed

Yes: no joy. I can also view the password that gets entered by switching off the password hiding in the app and can see that the same password is being entered by the various password managers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ProfessorJay,

Can you confirm which iOS devices you are trying on?

Can you try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. It is indeed strange that it’s not working on both.

Kash

Tried it on my iPhone and iPad, both with the latest versions of iOS. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times without success.

Well, I think I just solved it. Having tried everything else, I tried changing my password on the website to something simple and…it worked. I could log in to the app. I’ve now changed it to something much more secure, so I think it’s solved. Funny that I needed to update the password to log in when it was being accepted by the website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @ProfessorJay 

Glad to hear you’ve found a work around for this, thanks for letting us know you’ve manage to get this sorted and how, let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?