How to beat your post-holiday blues

How to beat your post-holiday blues
Userlevel 8
Badge

Let’s face it, sometimes you get back from holiday and feel like you need another one. As soon as you’re back to the commute on a rainy old Monday morning, it can seem like you’ve never been away.

So, we’ve put together a few hints and tips, together with helpful links and apps, to help you beat those post-holiday blues and arrive at work with a positive attitude. And, if you haven’t been away yet, read on, a little pre-holiday planning can make it much easier when you get back to reality.

1. Get organised

After a long, lazy holiday, that alarm on your first morning back can be tough. So, make things easy on yourself with a little planning the night before. Choose what you’re going to wear, get your bag ready for work, find your security pass, etc.

And make to-do lists of what needs to be prioritised on the first day or week. There are some great apps, like Evernote Wunderlist or Trello that can help you with this kind of prep and planning.

If you haven’t been away yet, you can get organised right now with our holiday checklist. We’re really jealous of you!

2. Make time for yourself

Don’t rush headlong into the pile of work waiting for you. Pace yourself and make sure you take regular breaks to give yourself a chance to take stock and remain calm.

Be sure to take proper lunch breaks away from your desk and, if possible, leave the office for a breath of fresh air, just to keep things in perspective. You were on the beach this time last week, after all.

If you need a little help to stay calm, take a look at de-stressing apps like Calm or Headspace and remember, you’re not in this alone.

3. Now hear this!

Stay positive and inspired by listening to some motivational podcasts like Ted Talks or some Spotify motivational playlists on your way to work. Better still, put together your own playlist of your fave inspirational, upbeat tunes as the soundtrack to your commute. And why not treat yourself to some new headphones while you’re at it?

After a holiday, your overall productivity increases, so keep yourself motivated and be prepared for pats on the back from your colleagues.

4. Read all about it…

Load up your tablet or Kindle with some inspirational reads for your commute to work or for a quick motivator on your lunch break. Check out the best eBook readers here or download an eBook reader app to your smartphone or tablet.

There are loads to choose from like Kindle, Kobo, Serial Box, Google Play Books and many more. And a whole world of eBooks out there just waiting to be discovered.

5. Stay active and eat well

You’re bound to be tired coming back to work after a relaxing holiday, especially if you’ve had a long journey home through different time zones. The importance of eating well and staying hydrated to keep yourself focused and concentrated at work cannot be over-emphasised.

Check out healthy eating apps and sites like Better Health Better Families and MyFitnessPal and, for a little exercise motivation, check out: Map My WalkRunkeeper or Fitbit.

6. Keep your holiday going

A great holiday is all about great experiences, and that can be a delicious dish you’ve eaten or a favourite activity. And just because you’ve got back home, doesn’t mean you have to leave those experiences behind.

Had an amazing Italian meal in Rome? Check to see if there are any great Italian places in your area. Or maybe you can use a takeaway app to have it delivered to your door. Loved rock climbing in Thailand? Maybe an indoor climbing wall will scratch that itch.

7. It’s good to talk

Take time to check in with your colleagues and get up to speed on what you missed while you were away. Catch-up with a friend over coffee and chat about your holiday. Simply talking to someone and having a laugh can help improve your first day back.

Giveaway Time:

To be in with a chance of winning, we want to know what your favourite book or podcast to wind down to is and why. Whether it's true crime podcasts, fantasy books or something else that helps you relax we want to know!

Share your thoughts by commenting below for your chance to win... a Kindle Paperwhite!

Entries close at 23:59 on 23rd September 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

IMPORTANT INFO: The Winner will be notified by Private message on the Community. The message will come from the official iD Mobile account or from on of our Community mods (Our mods can be identified by a small ‘iD’ badge on by their profile picture. You can check your private messages by clicking on your icon on the top left of the screen, and selecting ‘Private messages’. When you receive a private message on the Community, you’ll also receive an email informing you that you’ve received a message on the Community - this email will be sent to the email address you registered on the community with, if you signed up with Facebook, the email will be sent to the address registered on your Facebook account. So, keep an eye out! 

101 replies

Userlevel 1

I like to listen to Fearne Cotton’s Happy Place podcast to wind down to. Full of inspirational people/stories and always make me feel good. Steven Bartlett’s Diary of a CEO is also a brilliant listen when needing a boost, highlighting a whole ton of inspirational figures many of which have overcome adversity, it just makes you feel better about life 😊

Userlevel 1

My absolute favourite author right now is Karin Slaughter. She writes crime novels. She's has written a few book sets that are well worth getting involved in. I'm currently reading her new book Girl Forgotten. If this does interest you, go to her website to find the best order to read her books. Trust me, they are so worth it. Enjoy

Stacey 😋

Userlevel 1

My favourite podcast is "stuff they don't want you to know" because it takes a critical look at daft conspiracy theories, really nice way to unwind !

James Patterson books - particularly about Detective 
Alex Cross - gripping!

Userlevel 1

My favourite way to wind down is to listen to the BBC’s podcast of The Archers. It’s only 13 minutes long but wow it packs loads in to those few minutes. The storylines are always interesting and a few years back there was a whole thing about coercive behaviour and domestic violence. It certainly didn’t send me to sleep! At the moment there are storylines about a male prostitute and a pregnant teenager. 

The podcast is on Sunday to Friday with only a Saturday off. And on the Saturday I listen to Dumteedum which is a complete mickey take of the Archers. I love it. 

Userlevel 1

My favourite author at the moment is Colleen Hoover her books are really addictive and keep you on edge, reading is my new found chill time as I have a 2 year old and a 3 month old ☺️

Userlevel 1

My treasured book is “girl in pieces” the reason being I can connect and relate to it to a certain extend. I enjoy reading it and being able to understand the book it self and the recovery battle/ pain the main character goes through. The message through out the book about not being alone, not standing in the dark by yourself along with it showing you many ways on how to grow from a current time in life. Many people of all ages can sympathise with it as it’s a great book.

Userlevel 1

I love any Dean Koontz books, you can never put them down

Userlevel 3
Badge

Anything by Micheal Crichton or John Grisham

Userlevel 1

Love winding down listening to Chris Demakes a Podcast. He's the guitarist and singer of Less Than Jake, and they discuss different songs and the creation of them. Really interesting.

Shane Todd’s “Tea with me” podcast is hilarious - a weekly podcast with some of Northern Ireland’s best comedians and general funny people. Never fails to lift my mood and make me forget the day to day nonsense we all have to deal with.

I really enjoy crime thrillers with a comedy element. I've really been enjoying books by Jana DeLeon.

Userlevel 2

My favourite podcasts are any by Danny Robbins. Haunted,  The Battersea Poltergeist and Uncanny.  My favourite books to unwind with are any by MacKenzie Crook. I think they’re meant for children really but I’m a 63 year old big kid who loves fairies! 

Userlevel 1

I literally read anything but I particularly like Jeffrey Archer and the Scarpetti novels 😎🥂

I love reading mystic romances so I can just loose myself in the sensual fiction, it is so easy to read, romantic vampires, sexy wolfs, and alians that know how to treat a woman. 

Love the godfather book. I could read it over and over again. 

Userlevel 1

My favourite author currently is Matt haigh, I’m currently reading the Radleys as an after work wind down and have lots more in my list! I started reading during Covid to take my mind away from the world and I still love it now! 

Stephen Kings books amazing writing ✍️ 

Userlevel 2

My favourite book is Hunger Games The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes. It is very different to the other ones but is very interesting to get a different view on things and seeing things from certain peoples eyes can really change your perspective on things. I would recommend it but only after you have read (or listened to) the other ones. 

My favourite author just now is Willow Rose. So easy to get caught up with the story and loose all track of time.

Userlevel 1

I have no particular favourite author but I am enjoying some sci-fi books at the moment, anything from epic space battles to monsters and creature features. I’m going through several books a week at present and can’t get enough :)

Any book by Alexander Mcall Smith.  So readable.

I love relaxing with epic fantasy or sci-fi books or audiobooks. Currently reading the Mistborn series in preparation for the next release!

Userlevel 1

I mostly read Fantasy such as Tolkien Terry Brooks Katherine Kerr Trudi Canavan etc but will read most other stuff as the mood takes me. Am impatient so tend to by Hardbacks rather than wait for paperbacks to come out.

I listen in to different podcasts as the mood takes me. 

I love any podcast relating to conspiracy theories my absolute favourite is anything to do with the moon landing hoax how on earth did we ever get past the deadly Van Allen radiation belts why did we "destroy the apollo mission technology" have you seen the "blue Peter sticky back plastic lunar lander" beggars belief really love a podcast that questions what were told was true in 🏫

Why iD Mobile?