How to beat your post-holiday blues

How to beat your post-holiday blues
Userlevel 8
Badge

Let’s face it, sometimes you get back from holiday and feel like you need another one. As soon as you’re back to the commute on a rainy old Monday morning, it can seem like you’ve never been away.

So, we’ve put together a few hints and tips, together with helpful links and apps, to help you beat those post-holiday blues and arrive at work with a positive attitude. And, if you haven’t been away yet, read on, a little pre-holiday planning can make it much easier when you get back to reality.

1. Get organised

After a long, lazy holiday, that alarm on your first morning back can be tough. So, make things easy on yourself with a little planning the night before. Choose what you’re going to wear, get your bag ready for work, find your security pass, etc.

And make to-do lists of what needs to be prioritised on the first day or week. There are some great apps, like Evernote Wunderlist or Trello that can help you with this kind of prep and planning.

If you haven’t been away yet, you can get organised right now with our holiday checklist. We’re really jealous of you!

2. Make time for yourself

Don’t rush headlong into the pile of work waiting for you. Pace yourself and make sure you take regular breaks to give yourself a chance to take stock and remain calm.

Be sure to take proper lunch breaks away from your desk and, if possible, leave the office for a breath of fresh air, just to keep things in perspective. You were on the beach this time last week, after all.

If you need a little help to stay calm, take a look at de-stressing apps like Calm or Headspace and remember, you’re not in this alone.

3. Now hear this!

Stay positive and inspired by listening to some motivational podcasts like Ted Talks or some Spotify motivational playlists on your way to work. Better still, put together your own playlist of your fave inspirational, upbeat tunes as the soundtrack to your commute. And why not treat yourself to some new headphones while you’re at it?

After a holiday, your overall productivity increases, so keep yourself motivated and be prepared for pats on the back from your colleagues.

4. Read all about it…

Load up your tablet or Kindle with some inspirational reads for your commute to work or for a quick motivator on your lunch break. Check out the best eBook readers here or download an eBook reader app to your smartphone or tablet.

There are loads to choose from like Kindle, Kobo, Serial Box, Google Play Books and many more. And a whole world of eBooks out there just waiting to be discovered.

5. Stay active and eat well

You’re bound to be tired coming back to work after a relaxing holiday, especially if you’ve had a long journey home through different time zones. The importance of eating well and staying hydrated to keep yourself focused and concentrated at work cannot be over-emphasised.

Check out healthy eating apps and sites like Better Health Better Families and MyFitnessPal and, for a little exercise motivation, check out: Map My WalkRunkeeper or Fitbit.

6. Keep your holiday going

A great holiday is all about great experiences, and that can be a delicious dish you’ve eaten or a favourite activity. And just because you’ve got back home, doesn’t mean you have to leave those experiences behind.

Had an amazing Italian meal in Rome? Check to see if there are any great Italian places in your area. Or maybe you can use a takeaway app to have it delivered to your door. Loved rock climbing in Thailand? Maybe an indoor climbing wall will scratch that itch.

7. It’s good to talk

Take time to check in with your colleagues and get up to speed on what you missed while you were away. Catch-up with a friend over coffee and chat about your holiday. Simply talking to someone and having a laugh can help improve your first day back.

Giveaway Time:

To be in with a chance of winning, we want to know what your favourite book or podcast to wind down to is and why. Whether it's true crime podcasts, fantasy books or something else that helps you relax we want to know!

Share your thoughts by commenting below for your chance to win... a Kindle Paperwhite!

Entries close at 23:59 on 23rd September 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

IMPORTANT INFO: The Winner will be notified by Private message on the Community. The message will come from the official iD Mobile account or from on of our Community mods (Our mods can be identified by a small ‘iD’ badge on by their profile picture. You can check your private messages by clicking on your icon on the top left of the screen, and selecting ‘Private messages’. When you receive a private message on the Community, you’ll also receive an email informing you that you’ve received a message on the Community - this email will be sent to the email address you registered on the community with, if you signed up with Facebook, the email will be sent to the address registered on your Facebook account. So, keep an eye out! 

101 replies

I have many but the one that stands out at present is Chris Williamsons Modern Wisdom which has led me to find other very fascinating people and critical thinkers

As an old man who attended a grammar school leaving in 1954 to work in a Sheffield steelworks, I might not be expected to appreciate the novels written by a female historian but I most certainly do!

A friend introduced me to Philippa Gregory's writing and I became hooked. At school I found history so dry, lists of dates with events attached just didn't 'float my boat' but having found Philappa and Waterlands things changed forever. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the sequel, Dark Tides and it didn't disappoint.

The historical knowledge combined with a captivating writing style make Philappa Gregory's books a must for me!

My favourite podcast to listen to recently has been Nigel Clarke’s ‘Dadvengers’ podcast, because it branches out to all dads and how we can aim to be better dads and deal with common struggles, as well as the not so common issues that come with different family backgrounds etc. Really interesting to listen to all the different stories too!

I'm working my way through the Rick Riordan books, I've done the Percy Jackson and the olympians, then, The hero's of olympus series' and I'm not onto the trials of Apollo. 

Userlevel 2

I enjoy the CJ Samson Shardlake series. Tudor murder! 

Userlevel 1

I love a dystopia future classic book,  something like brave new world,  1984 etc.  It's so clear that this could be a true reality that you get immersed but also feel so incredibly grateful that it's just fantasy so there is the sense of relief when you put the book down.  I love to read a chapter at bed time and always sleep well,  I think it's the sense of relief!

I’m revisiting Roald Dahl and the likes nowadays, having great times reading together with the kids which are at the right age for those kinds of youth stories

Userlevel 2

I love listening to the audible book Toast on Toast, narrated by Steven Toast (Matt Berry). The whole book is hilarious and as much as Steven Toast is a pompous so and so, I find myself quite sympathetic to his shenanigans (sometimes 😉). Matt Berry's unique voice is very soothing and lulls me to sleep while I'm still laughing at Toast's stories. 

I also read almost anything but when I'm tired and looking for a relaxing and easy read, I always return to Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. I first read the books and stories when I was about 8 and I still enjoy the exploits of Holmes and Watson.

I listen to the Pat McAfee Show daily, I love keeping up to date with what's going on in the NFL.

What better way to chill out and relax than with a good detective story depicting gruesome murders! My latest book was Zodiac Killer by WL Knightley. Initially bought it as  a means of passing some time while on a couple of days break, not realising that it was only part one of a series of books which, once started, I couldn’t put down. Needless to say I was hooked by the first book and ended up buying all 13! No complaints though, an excellent read which I highly recommend. Thirteen books is quite a lot to handle though so, fingers crossed for a new Kindle! 🤞🏻

Love to finish the day with a chapter or two of a good book. So many favourites to choose from but for the ability to escape into a fully realised alternate reality I'd plump for something by either Jasper Fforde or Terry Pratchett.

Userlevel 1

I enjoy reading 'A natural history of dragons'. It's an easy to read fantasy, that takes a new twist on these famously huge and ferocious beasts. Awesome artwork on the front cover too 😄.

Userlevel 1

Most things by Umberto Eco. Name of the Rose, of course, and the late stuff, but Foucault’s Pendulum is the masterpiece. It takes me away to another world and wraps me in convolutions that enlighten my understanding of life today.

Userlevel 2

Love the Robert Galbraith books. Stories so gripping you get lost in them

Userlevel 1

My favourite author is Clive Cussler, have read most if his books, my personal stories are the Oregon Files stories followed closely by The Numa Files stories. 

Then Kurt Austin stories followed by Dirk Pitt stories. 

They hugely adventurous, and I like how he starts the stories by delving into the historical past, in the 1st chapter, then comes up to date. So you have a back story to the adventure that's to come. I highly recommend them.

Sadly he has left us now,  but his son who contributed in some books has take on the challenge. I wish him well.

While in the forces (RN) I read 2 series of 'Western' books, those were Edge who had his own way of dealing with the baddies and Adam Steele, a no nonsense drifter come Robin Hood.          26 volumes in each series. Excellent. So there's 2 different genre's for you to contemplate. But you won't be sorry you picked them up.

Userlevel 2

My favourite author currently is Matt haigh, I’m currently reading the Radleys as an after work wind down and have lots more in my list! I started reading during Covid to take my mind away from the world and I still love it now! 

He is brilliant, he really helped me through lockdown. 

Userlevel 1

Mine would probably be the heart stopper books (novel series). It's nice to read about a person you can relate to in a few ways, and most of it is daily struggle moments. :) 

Userlevel 3

Anything by Clive Cussler, Wilbur Smith, Andy McDermott or Ken Follett. Very readable, well researched and easy to get lost in the escapism

Userlevel 1

Stephen King is a fantastic author

Userlevel 1

The podcast sacked in the morning  from radio Scotland  is fantastic.  Great guests and who knew Craig had a sense of humour 

I love to read and have a number of go-to authors although I’ll try any author once.  Some of my favourites to read over and over are Lucy Score (Rom-Com), Manda Scott (Historical Fiction), Mimi-Jean Pamfiloff (Fantasy and Mystery), Stephen King (Horror and Fantasy) but there are so many Indie authors that have really good books.

Any John le Carré novel - so beautifully written, brilliantly paced and expertly plotted.  With a wonderful world view and underlying political and human commentary.  A slow pleasure, to be savoured.

I mostly get lost in biorgaphies and autobiographies. I love living vicariously through someone else’s life. Not necessarily the rich and famous, but people with an interesting life who have an actual story to tell: Stephen Fry, Barak Obama, Trevor Noah, etc. Exploring different backgrounds and different ways of thinking.

Userlevel 1

I settle down with Complete Workings Ritual and brush up on my knowledge.

Userlevel 1

My current book is usually my favourite. Currently on holiday touring Scotland and my books of choice are DI Nick Dixon series by Damien Boyd - a perfect holiday read 

Why iD Mobile?