Blog

What’s new in the world of tech? - August 2021

What’s new in the world of tech? - August 2021

Show first post

99 replies

Love this phone and I would love to win it x

Badge +10

Getting really excited about new car technologies linked to your mobile.

Fully connected services that allow you to keep in touch with your car even when you’re not with it, Features that keep you informed of vehicle conditions in real time, such as petrol/battery level and tyre pressures.

You can locate the position of your car directly from your smartphone, and you can lock and unlock the doors, program the climate control to heat or cool the car.

Unfortunately it all comes at price, these features are generally subscription based however still worth the excitement.

Userlevel 1

I love how much attention companies (seemingly especially Chinese companies) are paying to the cameras on their phones. I was never much of a photographer until I got a Huawei P30 Pro and the camera quality has inspired an interest in photography, which has actually been very therapeutic and helped me with my mental health, especially through lockdowns. Phones have stopped being phones and are now these wildly versatile multitools that are improving so many aspects of daily life, I'm super excited to see where it goes next! 

Userlevel 1

I’m very impressed with what Xiaomi (and other brands like Oppo) is doing. For the first time ever, it is the top selling brand in Europe. Even their £250 (while on offer) Poco F3 boasts a 120Hz display, 5G support, as well as a Snapdragon 870. They are doing incredible things and providing them for decent prices.

The DJI FPV done also has me very excited - HD video is transmitted at a very low latency from a drone that can fly up to 97mph (0-60mph in 2 seconds)! Incredible stuff.

There really are some amazing products coming from Chinese companies right now.

Userlevel 1

really cheap dumb phones. weve got the tech. it could be really accessible

Userlevel 1

New technologies are everywhere, especially Elon Musk and SpaceX, AI is especially interesting in all the various applications in which it will be applied. Most interesting item I've seen is on new chips/micro processors that use very little power which is great for so many applications, to infinity and beyond haha 

Userlevel 1

I saw a transformer that transform on its on, I would my mobile to transform Into a little robot. Aslo the fact you can play console games such as xbox that's something I am interested in, I'm due an upgrade next month so looking at options at the moment. 

Userlevel 1

with more advancement in mobile phone chipsets, laptops and desktops will be outdated in next 10 years time. You can do everything on a mobile phone right from working on excel, 3D softwares, video editing, arts and design etc. Mobile phone local storage will be outdated as cloud storage will be way of future as it will be free. At present, cloud storage has to be paid for but in future the cloud storage warehouses will be on the moon, so only cost is to install them and power them on solar- free land, no need to man the warehouse. We can even harness other nearby planet to store our digital data.

Userlevel 1

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited? Let us know below for a chance to win the incredible OPPO Find X3 NEO.

I think folding screens is the most recent thing that got me excited. I found new phones to be getting dull over recent years, with no massive jumps in innovation, just thinner/quicker/better cameras. When the Z flip was announced I was actually amazed, and when I ordered one it was the most excited id been for a phone in years. 

Userlevel 1

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited?

Technology that changes how we behave in work, play and think.  I think electric vehicles will do that by making us think carefully about travelling and how often we travel short distances.  Electric and PHEV batteries have changed significantly and yes, the charging network needs to improve but considering most car journeys are less than 30 miles,  Plus most of the time of day, cars are sitting empty parked on driveways or kerbs about average 23 hours per day.  Hiring vehicles or using only when needed may be the way in the future?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I’m not sure @WelshPaul.

Any ideas @Emil ?

Will

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Who changed the closing date? 😲

Original date:

Competition closes 21st August 2021. 

New date:

Competition closes 14th September 2021. 

I came back to see if I had won! 🥲😂

I expect cost of high end mobiles to drop over the next few years.

iD may also increase the number of mobile phones it allows access on its 5g network !!!

I think the electric car industry and more importantly it's charging network has to develop.   Cost is prohibitive at present.  Also range anxiety, charge locations, cost and quantity needs to be addressed

Userlevel 1

I’d really like a phone that is easy to use to make phone calls!

I have a much better camera for taking pictures.

I have  a much better laptop with a keyboard for sending messages.

Userlevel 2

I'm quiet excited by the prospect of weed zapping robots.... I could definitely do with one for the garden. 😁

Userlevel 1

Took 7 days for my phone to arrive 🤣🤣🤣 can't even get the dates to port my existing number over from E.E, suppose to take 1-2 days as stated on your sight, 4 days later still stuck with a random number. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Essmack90 Wow, you really did you research and know your stuff there! They all sounds like brilliant advancements and improvements that will sure benefit everyone. For me, my favourite one of the ones you have listed is improving traffic, I feel like it’s getting worse and worse lol. Plus lowering emissions is always a good thing. 

Emil

Userlevel 1

To step away from the mobile/tablet theme, the thing that's exciting me at the minute is IoT in Automotive. Fully connected cars. The use of data science and machine learning for better and safer roads, easier parking, and better parts maintenance. Stuff like cloud-integrated platforms that — along with direct access to audio apps, navigation and Amazon Alexa — add to the display personal environment controls for climate adjustment and seat heating. Apps that connect drivers with private garages through spot seekers, which reduce time to find parking, which in turn reduces emissions. IoT sensors in CCTV cameras and along highways and bridges constantly collect data to help alleviate traffic burdens and predict likely congestion points before they materialise. Its all really exciting 

Userlevel 1

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited?

Sounds a bit simplistic but I’ve just purchased an iPhone 12 after having had my current smartphone for about 5 years. It’s mad to think how much technology has improved in such a short period of time

Userlevel 1

The Asus Zenbrook Pro Duo has been a great buy for me. It runs Windows 11 like a dream. Dual screens when you get them setup right can make like so much simpler. I love the switch button that moves content from screen to screen. 

Userlevel 1

Competition Time:

We’ve shared what we think are the biggest tech developments over the past few months, and now we want to hear from you!

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited? Let us know below for a chance to win the incredible OPPO Find X3 NEO.

Standard competition T&Cs apply.

Competition closes 14th September 2021. 

Best of luck!

I cannot wait for the Samsung galaxy watch 4 to come out, seems like its better than all its predecessors, am hoping to buy it and the new Galaxy Z fold phone is really cool I can’t believe we’re back in the time with flip phones. Lol. :D

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@WelshPaul I agree, it is such a cool advancement. I still believe the future of mobiles, possibly in the 2050’s will be a simple piece of metal that you pull up and the screen will be a hologram/projection. Ha. Maybe a bit too soon for that, but I definitely think these heavy phones will disappear in decades to come. 

Userlevel 2

Competition Time:

We’ve shared what we think are the biggest tech developments over the past few months, and now we want to hear from you!

I have got right on the bandwagon for cloud gaming.  Recently purchased Gamesir X2 new for cloud gaming on the go. Personally I absolutely love it. So many different controllers coming out to increase cloud gaming possibilities, but this one stands out - specially with phones gradually increasing in size again now. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Phones have been fairly boring the past few years (IMO) with the majority of manufactures focusing mainly on the Camera(s), Screen and/or on making them as thin as can be. However, I think the folding screen is the most technologically advancement seen on any phone in a very long time! 👍

Why iD Mobile?