Women who changed the tech world

Women who changed the tech world
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

International Women’s Day is coming up soon. And to celebrate the occasion on the 8th of March, we’ve made a list of ten of the most influential women who have helped shape the world of technology.

The ground-breaking research and work carried out by these tech trailblazers led to the creation of everything from the internet and Wi-Fi to smart security systems. Even space travel wouldn’t have been possible if not for some of the names on our list!

Computer programming: Ada Lovelace

If you can believe it, the very first computer programmer was born in 1815. And her name was Ada Lovelace — the daughter of renowned poet Lord Byron. Lovelace was a remarkable mathematician who worked on Charles Babbage’s Analytical Engine (considered the world’s first computer) and created what’s believed to be the first ever algorithm — ‘Note G’.

To commemorate her contributions and the achievements of women in STEM (science, technology, engineering, or math) careers, Ada Lovelace Day is celebrated on every second Tuesday in October. So, make sure to jot it down in your calendar!

Internet: Radia Perlman

Can you now imagine our world without the internet? Well, if it wasn’t for Radia Perlman (nicknamed the “Mother of the Internet”), you probably wouldn’t be reading this article. Born in 1951, Perlman is a computer programmer who invented the Spanning Tree Algorithm and Protocol. In a nutshell, this formed the fundamentals for the operation of network bridges and established the basic rules of internet traffic.

Wi-Fi: Hedy Lamarr

Hedy Lamarr was a household name during Hollywood’s golden age. But did you know that she loved inventing things when she wasn’t filming for the silver screen? And she was completely self-taught, too.

During the second world war, Lamarr and avant-garde composer George Antheil thought up a clever communication system which helped make Allied radio-guided torpedoes harder for the Axis powers to detect or jam. And it was their work that later inspired frequency hopping technologies we use today — like Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth.

Telecommunications: Dr. Shirley Ann Jackson

In 1973, Shirley Ann Jackson became first black woman ever to earn a doctorate from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). But it was her research into theoretical physics that led to some huge technological breakthroughs that we simply couldn’t function without today. Jackson’s work enabled others to invent everything from the touch-tone telephone to solar cells, fibre optic cables, and the tech behind caller ID.

Space exploration: Katherine Johnson

In 1962, astronaut John Glenn became the first American to orbit the Earth. But his landmark achievement wouldn’t have been possible if not for the efforts of mathematician Katherine Johnson. Her calculations of orbital mechanics at NASA were essential in the success of the USA’s early crewed spaceflights. So much so, that when awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2015, Johnson recalled Glenn saying: “If she says they’re good (Katherine's numbers), then I am ready to go.”

GUI: Adele Goldberg

Computers probably wouldn't be as easy to use today if not for the wonderful work of Adele Goldberg. A key member of the Xerox PARC research team, Goldberg's contributions to the Smalltalk-80 programming language led to the development of graphical user interfaces (GUI) in computers.

You know those windows, menus, and icons we click on every day? Yep, it was Goldberg who brought these ideas to life. Her concepts for the Xerox Alto computer are also what inspired Apple’s very first computer.

Moon landing: Margaret Hamilton

Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin are always the first names that come to mind when we think about the first moon landing in 1969. But Margaret Hamilton’s critical work as a software engineer (a term she herself coined) was vital in the success of NASA’s legendary Apollo program, with the code that Hamilton and her team wrote at MIT helping Apollo 11 touchdown on the Moon’s surface.

Rocket systems: Annie Easley

Annie Easley was an African American computer scientist and mathematician. Over her 34-year career, she worked on everything from NASA rocket systems to developing codes that analysed alternative power technologies — including the battery tech used for early hybrid vehicles. Her contributions to NASA’s Centaur project also helped in launching future satellites and space vehicles, including the Cassini to Saturn in 1997.

But Easley also spent her career advocating for equal opportunities in technology for people of all backgrounds. Her work not only had a huge impact on the field of science, but on society as a whole.

Home security: Marie Van Brittan Brown

Have you got a smart security system at home? Well, you can thank Marie Van Brittan Brown for that. She was a nurse who developed the first home security system in the ‘60s with her electrician husband Albert Brown, as a way of feeling safer in their crime-ridden New York neighbourhood.

The couple’s first prototype was basically a peephole camera connected to some monitors, with a mic that they could shoo away intruders with. But they later innovated a remote-controlled door locking mechanism and a panic alarm. When the couple were awarded their patent in 1969, Marie’s name came first.

Domain names: Elizabeth Feinler

Elizabeth Feinler was heavily involved in the early development of the internet. She held an influential director role at the Network Information Centre (NIC) in California between 1972 and 1989, but is perhaps best known for helping to create the Domain Name System (DNS). This is what lets us access websites by using easy-to-remember domain names instead of complex IP addresses. So, you can thank her for dot coms, dot nets and the like!

Giveaway Time! 

To celebrate International Woman’s Day, we’re giving one lucky winner the chance to win a £100 Currys gift card. 

To enter, simply reply below and tell us about the most important woman in your life

Once you’ve added your comment, you’ll be entered into the draw!

Entries close at 23:59 on 18th March 2024. A winner will be chosen at random, and we'll announce the lucky iD community member shortly after.

We’ll notify the winner by direct message here on the Community, so please keep an eye on your inbox.

Good luck!

237 replies

The mother of my grandchildren, she’s very young, very mature and so capable, also a great mother to two young boys.  She’s recovering from some complex life traumas and yet she finds compassion and empathy for others.  She’s amazing.

I would say my wife she is my soul mate and life partner has given me 2 beautiful children and couldn't ask for anything more she is my world 

Userlevel 1

Brenda Lee.  What a woman, brought up with her brother and sister by her Mum with very little money after her father died in construction. her mum used to pop her on a counter when she was a toddler and she’d perform for sweets and money.  Went on to be one of the best artists in the world, powerful role model in a time that was dominated by male artists. Second place, Janis Martin, similar situation.

my mum and my wife both strong women who will do anything for you and never ask of anything in return 

Userlevel 1

My Mom

Userlevel 1

That’s easy. My wife. She’s always been the most important person and always will be.

hi,

as much as I love my wife and would nominate her as a ‘living nominee’ I can only nominate my mother as she gave me the greatest gift anyone can have and that is the ‘gift of life’.

I am eternally grateful till the day I die! I am 80 and am lucky to be young in heart,mobile and still ‘with it’ enough to enjoy my life,my wife,children,grandchildren,family,friends and past colleagues who still survive.

Life is NOT about fame and fortune (and the culture of social media) but about the simplest things there are,that cost nothing but mean the world.

I was so lucky to have a talented and spunky mum!

My nana. She isn’t with us anymore, but had one of the kindest hearts. She was the kind of woman I aspire to be. She was strong, reliable, caring and so kind, filled a room and left a hole when she died. In the last year of her life she battled cancer, lost my grandad and two siblings, and still beat her original prognosis of 6 months. So much love for her, and I know we’ll meet again some day

Userlevel 1

My wife.

She has been through a lot but is always the one grounding me. 

With the health problems she has had recently and the surgery she has undergone, you wouldn't be able to tell with not only her positive attitude but how active she remains with sports!

She is my strong Canadian gal!

That's an easy question.  I was very fortunate to have my beautiful mum with us until she was 93.  A strong formidable woman. She faced difficulties with strength of will and determination and instilled in her 2 daughters the same depth of character and resilience.  She is in my thoughts every day. 

My mum, she is beyond amazing 

My French teacher at school - opened up the world of philosophy for me.

Userlevel 1

My mum!

My mum is the most important woman in my life as she's always there for me. Whenever I'm hurt or need someone she's always there to support me.

Oh this is so interesting 

for me it’s definitely my mom 

Userlevel 1

My mum was the strongest woman I ever met.  She had a very hard childhood and in theory should not have known how to be a good mother but she was!  Her first husband was killed at Alamein and when she met my father and had 3 children life was quite hard.  She worked all sorts of jobs to keep us together and when we lost our home she found two rooms for the 5 of us to live in and managed to make it home! I just wish I had half her strength!

Userlevel 1

My mum, is without doubt, the most important woman in my life. Her unconditional love for me, as her son, is beyond what I actually deserve. She has always cared, not only for me, but our whole family. She puts everyone before herself. Her empathy is endless.

Although it has been  and always will be, a two-way unconditional love between myself and my mum, we are now at that time in our lives where I'm looking after my mum in her older years, just as she had done raising me as a child. I'd literally do anything for her.

I love you mum ❤️🙏

My wife

My sister she taught me what a lying scheming cow of a woman can do to hurt you. Far too many things to list wouldn’t have space for anyone else to leave their comments.

Maria Quitéria de Jesus for proving that you can write your own future even without today's fake feminist groups that are only interested in dissiminate hate

My Wife. I can’t imagine life without her, even though we’ve been married, then divorced, then remarried. Back together 15 years and counting

My beautiful adopted daughter who inspires me to be a better person everyday, sadly my mum died 3 years ago but I am so grateful to have an amazing daughter

Userlevel 1

I have 3 woman my wife strongest person I know because what she has had though out her life my daughter strongest person even with all the disabilities and then my Granddaughter 

I’ll always say my mum (and I know a lot of people have). She doesn’t believe herself to be strong, confident or intelligent, but she’s all of those things. And because she is, I am. Love ya mum!

For me, it’s Susie, my wife of 53+ years!

Why iD Mobile?