Solved

5G Coverage

I brought my son and IPhone 14 before Xmas and the coverage map shows 5G/4G & 3G.

His iPhone also shows 5G however it doesn’t connect and phone states it has no data connection (he has unlimited data) 

Once he is about a mile or two from home and I assume connecting to a different mast his phone kicks back in. 

Neighbours who are also on ID are reporting the same issue that once they leave their home Wi-Fi it’s once they leave the village network kicks in. 

What can be done to resolve this? 

This is effecting the Penrhyncoch, Ceredigion SY23 area 

icon

Best answer by andewhite 7 February 2023, 22:40

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Try checking for network faults in your location @Jlcooper87.

Do this online at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support, using your postcode.

In addition, online coverage checkers are all based on computer models, which make a number of assumptions. The net result is theoretical coverage and actual real world coverage do not always align.

Good luck @Jlcooper87.   

I’ve checked for any faults and doesn’t highlight anything 😢

The fact his phone also has 5G at the top but once off Wi-Fi just doesn’t connect to anything until out of the village. 

His previous iPhone 11 was fine with 4G coverage but since moving to a 5G handset he’s never had data signal at home 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The iPhone 11 doesn’t work with 5G mobile networks, hence it will always show 4G. 

Make sure your son’s iPhone 14 is updated to iOS 16.3, because the iPhone 14 came with several bugs. In addition, try and make sure the handset is in 5G Auto mode (turn OFF the Wi-Fi networking when doing this):

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data > 5G Auto

If there’s actually a reasonable 5G signal indoors, at your home address, hopefully the above will help.

Good luck @Jlcooper87.

What I meant with his IPhone 11 was his 4G coverage was perfect never any issues with connection at home. He used to rely on 4G better than Wi-Fi in his room. 

Since moving to the IPhone 14 it’s always said 5G but doesn’t even revert to 4G. My daughter has a Samsung tablet with a ID data sim in it and that works perfectly on 4G. 

it’s like something with the 5G is prevent 4G & 3G from kicking in because it thinks the phone has 5G. 

the fact others are also having the same issue with 5G handsets in the village just seems strange 

his phone is all up to date. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You could try forcing your son’s iPhone 14 to only use 4G mode.

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data > 4G

Good luck @Jlcooper87. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jlcooper87,

Please let us know how you get on.

If you continue to have issues, please let us know and we can investigate your issue further.

Kash

Hi 

still having the same issue so have turned 5G off on phone and only using 4G but this also means when get to a 5G area that it’s not using 5G which is a feature of the phone 

it’s like at my address the 5G signal is picked up but there’s no data connection behind it. It won’t revert to 4G because it thinks the phone has 5G

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jlcooper87 

I believe this may be the best option, having 5G turned off while in an area that although picks it up is weaker for 5G and then when in an area that has a stronger 5G connection switching to it.

Tom

True 

although I guess I shouldn’t have to have my son switch back and forth because he ends up having a 5G handset but not using 5G or has to go check wether he’s in a 5G area 

they just need to turn off the 5G signal from the local mast because it’s not got a data connection and preventing 4G kicking in for all those local to it 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sounds like your location in your village is at the boundary of where the 5G indoor coverage drops off significantly.

Does your son’s iPhone 14 get 5G reception in your garden?

If you’ve got a home Wi-Fi network that’s probably your best option for your son at home, and his iPhone could be left on “5G Auto”.

Signal doesn’t kick in until about a mile or so away from our address. This isn’t something that just effects his phone. I actually work in a Currys store and this is something that customers are bringing to our attention and it’s only effecting 5G handsets. 

since we have changed it to 4G only it works from the moment he leaves Wi-Fi however I feel that defeats the object as he shouldn’t have to be flicking settings to benefit from 5G 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Indeed, yes @Jlcooper87 - sadly none of the UK network operators are prepared to guarantee signal strength and coverage at every location in the UK.
Their terms & conditions contain caveats concerning reception.

It’s possible this is an iPhone 14 issue - do other villagers 5G handsets have to avoid using “5G Auto” in your village, or do their handsets handle weak reception and select the appropriate network automatically? 
You’d always hope your handset used whatever local network signal was strongest, be that 3G, 4G, or 5G.

There’s a fair amount of noise on the Internet about 5G issues with an iPhone 14, and often the solution appears to be changing the settings to:

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data > 4G

Unfortunately this isn’t iPhone 14 isolated 

I’ve had some Samsung A33/A53/A73s

all state the same location that signal kicks back in. Turning 4G only fixes but seems like missing a huge feature 

map shows 5G outside so appreciate that coverage could be patchy inside but Wi-Fi resolves that in most cases 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Seems we’re living in an imperfect world, one way or another.

Maybe Three UK will deliver some additional network upgrades in your location - otherwise, perhaps look at switching to another service provider, who offer better 5G coverage at your location.

Anyway, good luck @Jlcooper87

Why iD Mobile?