Solved

8% price rise: In contract clearly? Illegal unless signposted. Bye bye ID either way

• 13 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

Just wondering because I'm stupid and probably didn't read carefully but a CPI+3.9% price increase being 7.9% just happened to me a bit ago and wondering if this is clearly stated in the contract easily spotted or hidden in murky small print?

I ask because I find an 8% price rise unacceptable given I'm paying mainly for a phone that is now 'old' and so NOT rising in price and it has to be very very clear this was going to happen when I agreed for this not to be against consumer law. 

If it is mentioned once on p12 of a 36 p contract hidden somewhere then it is still illegal; it must be clearly signposted. 

It probably was and I'm just dumb but does anyone happen to know? Because if not I'll of course be demanding a refund plus return to base rates prior or ability to leave contract without paying or go to consumer rights ombudsman.

Needless to say either way, bye bye ID after this contract. 8% price rise for a year on a contract that is 75% paying off a depreciating phone; absolutely absurd and just taking advantage of customers to the point where I now know not to trust you as a company so thanks for the heads up. If we take their word for it and assume it's all for services then I'm now paying a rise of 32% for their sim, cheers you anti consumer and lying company.

P.s

Your signal sucks too

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 13 March 2024, 20:31

View original

5 replies

For the record if it is made clear I'll admit I'm the idiot but doesn't make it any less scummy and just means I'd never have used you even if it were still the cheapest.

Companies who take advantage of their customers will screw you over somehow so I stay away. and my argument above for said scumminess isn't opinion, it's fact. 32% price rise for my SIM ahHaha you thieves 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You agreed to it, so you’re stuck paying for it. 

For what it’s worth, I agree with you. It’s a loophole used by the networks to screw their customers out of more money! OFCOM are looking to ban the practice, but as always it’s taken OFCOM years just to look at it. I save my money and buy my devices SIM free and only sign up for SIM-only plans that don’t get hiked every year. I’ve saved £££ over the past ten years!

Sure you’re right but to be clear is it really obvious or hidden away? Because the latter is illegal. 

However, literally remarked exactly as you said; lesson learnt and you were wisely 1 step ahead! 

Additionally even if you didn’t stick to 12mnths 8% on sim only isn’t 32% like I stupidly agreed to - would be angry in principle still but less angry and paying 75% less extra if I had ;) 

If you see this by the way how do you find their signal? 

Their 5g is blisteringly fast but it’s so much worse than the 3 network it says it uses than I expected coverage wise.

EE no matter how more expensive I will be going back to and never looking at ID again. CPI alone would’ve been bad enough lol. Imagine had it been back when it was 10%. I’d be properly fighting even legally if I got a 14% (56% rise) ahaha. And they have 36 month contracts too! 

Many useful lessons learnt at luckily this time only about a £50 total cost so I’ll take it

Why iD Mobile?