Question

999 Operator couldn't hear me

• 28 February 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1

I just made a call to 999 and it was clear that the operator couldn’t hear me, she just kept asking questions, asked what number I’d dialled, didn’t respond to anything I was saying. Luckily this was not a situation where there was any immediate danger but it is very worrying that I was unable to make the call on my phone.

I’ve never had any problems making calls to any other number.

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @cja123,

Welcome to the Community!

We are sorry to hear about this.

The call should have worked as a usual call. Do you know if there are any issues with the handset regarding the mic etc?

Unfortunately it isn’t something that we can check/test due to the nature of the number.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi Kash. No issues with the mic. I made a regular phone call immediately after the failed 999 and had no issues.

The 999 call doesn’t appear on my call history, but the call recording does, as “Emergencynumbers-{timestamp}”.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I have called both 101 and 999 in the past without issue. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I can remember times when I’ve called both landlines and mobile numbers, and the call receiver hasn’t been able to hear me.

You can also use 112 to call UK emergency services.

Userlevel 1

I have called both 101 and 999 in the past without issue. 

Good for you 👍🏻

Userlevel 1

I can remember times when I’ve called both landlines and mobile numbers, and the call receiver hasn’t been able to hear me.

You can also use 112 to call UK emergency services.

Never had any issues where the fault has been on my end and would have hoped emergency services would have the best equipment going. Dialling 112 would still end up in the same place so not sure that would have made any difference.

I'm not going to make a non-emergency call to test the line so unless I have another reason to call I guess I'll never know.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You can also use SMS (texts) to contact the emergency services.

You’ll need to register your phone to do so, but once you’ve registered you can just send a text to 999.

All the details are online at http://emergencysms.org.uk/.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I just made a call to 999 and it was clear that the operator couldn’t hear me, she just kept asking questions, asked what number I’d dialled, didn’t respond to anything I was saying. Luckily this was not a situation where there was any immediate danger but it is very worrying that I was unable to make the call on my phone.

I’ve never had any problems making calls to any other number.

Hello @cja123,

999 calls will use any network available so even if you were not connected to iD Mobile, it would use EE, O2 or other masts as part of how emergency calls are handled.

It’s a little hard to figure out why you were having issues but if you do have issues in the future, do keep a note of the date and time of the exact call, issues you’ve faced and postcode you were at so we can review.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

do keep a note of the date and time of the exact call, issues you’ve faced and postcode you were at so we can review.

Hi Mohammed, thanks for your reply. If I provide those details for the call in question will that help at all? It’s just very strange because I made a non-999 call immediately after which was fine so all conditions with my device, network etc would have been exactly the same, the only difference was that it was an emergency number 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @cja123,

We can try checking it but it would have depended on which network the call went through.

If it didn’t connect via iD Mobile then we won’t be able to trace the call.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

@Mohammed Could you allow me to PM you so I can give you the details please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@cja123,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?