Question

Already with ID mobile SIM only and intend to take out new contract

• 27 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi  My existing SIM only contract with ID mobile runs out in a couple of weeks and I intend to take out a new one ( via mobiles.co.uk - yet another Currys brand - to get the cashback on offer).  

According to what I can find, new contract will start “on despatch of SIM”  - presumably they send a new one for exactly the same network - so do I need to get a PAC from Idmobile to transfer to Idmobile ?

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You can only use a PAC to transfer a number to another service provider, @mas417

iD Mobile won’t transfer a number from one iD account to another iD account.

To get the mobiles.co.uk bargain and keep your number, you’d have to switch to another provider, then switch back to your new iD contract from mobiles.co.uk - it’s a faff and will take several days, but you have your bargain handset and the number you want to keep.

🍀

No bargain handset involved  -  going from one SIM only to another SIM only via mobiles.co.uk (=Currys) to get their cashback offers which is far cheaper than doing it direct on idmobile.co.uk (=Currys).

A few years back I had a similar situation of going from one 12 month SIM only contract directly to another 12 month SIM only contract with  Three and they were able to transfer the number between SIMs so clearly its technically  possible.

I don’t want to start clicking on buttons until  my existing contract has (or will have)  expired - I just want to know from someone who knows, what  buttons I might need to click - and there must be any number of people doing the same thing as me.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately @mas417, iD won’t transfer a number from one connection to another. 

Perhaps, this is deliberate to deter customers from continually taking up new customer incentives via affiliates and associates. 

🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @mas417,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately we can’t process internal number transfers.

If you wish to keep the number you would need to look at upgrading the current number or processing a triangle port.

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Kash

@Kash - Thanks

But when you say “We can’t process internal number transfers”  you actually mean “We won’t process internal transfers”

It’s blindingly obvious that there’s no technical reason why you couldn’t,  you just choose not to  😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @mas417,

Our systems don’t allow internal number transfers unfortunately.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?