Solved

april price rise

• 9 February 2023
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi I brought a new sim only 12 month contract last night (08/02/2023) and I saw in the small print about the April price increase. Will this price increase apply to me if I started my new contract after the 1st of February? My contract is £8 a month.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 9 February 2023, 10:35

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

There aren’t any annual price rises for an iD SIM only contract @Joe.birks.

It seems most UK mobile service providers have an annual price increase clause in their contracts - anyway, good luck. 

Userlevel 1

So will the price of my contract rise in April or not?

thanks 

joe

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I don’t think so @Joe.birks - my iD SIM only contract never changed price.

Userlevel 1

Brilliant thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Joe.birks 

On a SIM only the RPI/CPI rate changes will not apply to you.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reassuring answer. However, I note from the Ts&Cs of the “Get up to 50% Extra Data on Selected SIM Only Contracts” the line, “Monthly price may increase with Consumer Price Index (CPI) +3.9%.” Does this mean that taking up this offer will result in annual above inflation price rises, or does this signal a change in policy more generally, or neither?

Rob

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Rob Wheatley

Have you got a link to this or a screenshot so I can check further?

Possibly just a general wording clause that’s been added to all contracts as we don’t have separate terms & conditions for SIM only plans. 

SIM only plans are and have been exempt from RPI/CPI increases. 

*this may be subject to change in the future CPI Increases as this is reviewed annually

Mohammed

Sure… here it is!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks @Rob Wheatley 

Edit: this is not currently applicable to the CPI 2023 increase, but may be subject to one in the future as it’s reviewed annually. This is why this remains. 

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi @Mohammed ,

To follow up on this question, when does the price calculation happen in April?

I wanted to take phone contact as soon as I can but I would rather wait for the calculation period to finish as I can wait on my old pay as you go contact I have with Three.

Is it start of April? Is it like if I take a contract on 2nd I'll not be in subject of increase? Or more like any time in April and I should actually wait till May?

Thank you

Userlevel 1

Hi I brought a new sim only 12 month contract last night (08/02/2023) and I saw in the small print about the April price increase. Will this price increase apply to me if I started my new contract after the 1st of February? My contract is £8 a month.

Yes it will (this is incorrect) we have just had a 13.4% increase I raised a complaint to either reduce the cost of cancel my contract without a termination fee, they declined and told me I had to pay £899 each ( I have two phones) so I went to deadlock looks like I'll be having a fun time with the ombudsman. 

Userlevel 1

Yes it will we have just had a 13.4% increase I raised a complaint to either reduce the cost of cancel my contract without a termination fee, they declined and told me I had to pay £899 each ( I have two phones) so I went to deadlock looks like I'll be having a fun time with the ombudsman. 

When did you started your contract?

Userlevel 1

It would have been June 2022.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes it will we have just had a 13.4% increase I raised a complaint to either reduce the cost of cancel my contract without a termination fee, they declined and told me I had to pay £899 each ( I have two phones) so I went to deadlock looks like I'll be having a fun time with the ombudsman. 

This is incorrect as per the above, our SIM only plans are exempt from RPI/CPI increses.

For dates of if this would apply to you:

If you purchased between 1st November 2022 and 31st Jan 2023 then a CPI increase would be applicable.

If you purchased between 1st April 2020 and 31st October 2022 an RPI increase would be applicable.

If you purchased a 24-month handset contract After the 1st February 2023, then you would not be affected for the 2023 increase.

SIM only plans are exempt from this also.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

@Mohammed , thank you for your answer, especially the last paragraph about purchasing after 1st Feb 23. I’m gonna go ahead and purchase the headset contract.

Why iD Mobile?