Solved

BEWARE: Upgraded & charged twice

I have 2 accounts with ID, one for myself & sim only for my husband.  I was due an upgrade, so visited my local Carphone warehouse only to find that monthly fee would be £1 more a month & so they advised me to follow the link on my account. So I followed the upgrade link from my ID app accounts page, picked the new phone and when it arrived I took my sim from my old phone and put it into the new phone without any problems.  At this point I did not receive an email to say it had gone through but a text to say when my phone would be arriving. All good, or so I thought!

That was beginning of May.  However, on checking my app, I noticed that my new plan allowances wasn’t showing, showed my son & he thought it was a delay in getting the new info updated to my account. Then I get an email today saying I can upgrade, which I think is strange because that’s what I did beginning of May, or so I thought! I checked my bank account last night & noticed 3 payments have come out for iD, one for the sim only, one for my previous plan & one of which is a new direct debit. 

So today I got in touch with ID via the online chat to find out what was going on. When I explained to the person on the other end of the chat what had happened, they told me it had processed as a new account but not an upgrade. So solution would be to cancel the new phone & return it & reorder an upgrade, AGAIN! Only to then be told, sorry actually you can’t do that as the cooling off period has ended.  

So what’s my option now? I could cancel the new account but I would have to pay a cancellation fee even though it was an upgrade!  So I’m stuck with 2 contracts that I simply cannot afford! The person on the other end of the chat tried to help but couldn’t and said someone from their complaints department will contact me in the next 48hrs.

As you can imagine I’m not happy at all, as out of pocket & have another contract that I’ve been told I can’t cancel without incurring a fee! I do remember there was a few problems with the website at the time but at the minute I am out of pocket through no fault of my own.  I will see what happens in the new few days and hope to have a satisfactory outcome, but feel that I’m going to have a battle on my hands!

If you decide to upgrade via the app, check & check again that you have indeed upgraded & not signed up for a new contract by no fault of your own!  Also just to add, I can see that this is not the first time that this has happened!

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 8 June 2022, 18:55

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

One should always read the agreements they are committing too. Saying that, it does appear to be happening to a lot iD Mobile customers...

You’d be better off porting the number you wanted to upgrade away to another network (PAY GO) and port it back to the new account. I’m surprised you were able to get a third line tbh, iD Mobile have a policy of only allowing a maximum of two lines in any one persons name. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Seems there are numerous pitfalls in the upgrade process (for an existing customer), not helped by a sluggish web site, which often misbehaves itself.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy a handset from iD Mobile because they conceal the airtime part of the contract you sign-up for.

I’ve never found an explanation of how the monthly charge will change once the handset is paid-off.

It seems (to me) iD’s handset contracts are designed to keep you hooked to iD Mobile.

Why iD Mobile?