Solved

Carrier settings lost after iphone update

Userlevel 1

My sons iPhone 7 had an update recently and for some reason there were no carrier settings sent.  I’ve tried everything, Apple Store (said it was a network provider issue) multiple resets, new SIM card and still nothing!  End result, he cannot use the phone to make or receive calls.  Is there any way to get the carrier settings sent to the phone?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 7 March 2023, 12:19

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

32 replies

Userlevel 1

Just had a frustratingly useless ‘support’ call with iDmobile and nothing resolved.  Nobody can push the settings to the phone.  Kept insisting I need to enter in manually but this isn't possible on the iPhone so far as I can tell.  You can only select from a list of network providers.  Help, anyone know how to solve this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Mothflyer ,

Sounds like it may have reset everything.

Can you please try the SIM in another handset and see if that works?

Does iD Mobile show on the list of your network providers?

Could you also try the iD Mobile SIM in another iPhone if possible?

Kash

Userlevel 1

Yes ID shows on the Network list on existing phone.  I can send and receive text messages, iMessages and whatsapps but no calls possible

Yes, the sim is fine in another phone and calls are possible.  

Still points towards needing carrier settings for existing phone.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It’s not the network that pushes the carrier settings to an iPhone, it’s Apple.

Navigate to Settings-> General-> About-> and then view the information next to Network Provider. You’ll see the option to update your carrier settings if yours is not the newest.

I’m with SMARTY and mine shows Three 53.0 (yours will most likely be the same). If you click on the ‘Three 53.0’ it should show ‘Voice & SMS’.

Userlevel 1

iD 50.0 and Voice & SMS is what I’m getting here.  

Userlevel 1

I have been back to Apple, they are unable to do anything and say the Network Provider must send the carrier settings to me.  SO we just sit here going round & round in circles.  Time to ditch iD Mobile I think?

Userlevel 1

Apple feedback:  “With this, we highly suggest that you reach out to your carrier as they are the one who will be able to make an update to your carrier settings. You can let them know that here on Apple we have already check the device and it is on the latest software and that we tried to manually install the carrier update but it giving you a message that you need to contact your network provider, then we are confident that they will be having an option to have the update on your cellular. 

Honestly. if I could do anything from here, I would. I always want to do everything I can to help customers like you, but we do not have unlimited power when it comes to this as this is about your carrier.”

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You won’t get any joy out of iD when asking about carrier settings updates. I tried and failed.

Check if there’s another iOS update for your iPhone - these often (but not always) update the carrier settings. 

However, I suspect “iD 50.0” is the latest release for the version of iOS running on your iPhone 7. 
When I was running iOS 15.4.1, my carrier settings said “iD 50.0”.

Userlevel 1

So in otherword’s that's it for iD Mobile with an iPhone 7.  Thanks.  Cancelling my contract today.  Cheers for that

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Apple are no longer updating iOS for iPhones earlier than the iPhone 8.
They’ve released some critical security fixes, but there’ll be no more iOS updates for the iPhone 7.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

SMARTY is owned and run by Three and that is why mine states Three 53.0 and not SMARTY 53.0. I suspect as mentioned above that you are indeed running the latest carrier settings based on the iOS version your handset is running.

Have you tried preforming a network reset? Might be worth checking the IMEI to make sure it hasn’t been reported lost or stolen. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hold on… Who supplied the iPhone 7? Is it network unlocked?

Userlevel 1

it worked before the security update from apple

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Aren’t the current carrier settings “iD 50.0”, which suggests the phone isn’t network locked?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Ah ok, was just a thought. I’m new to iPhone so not 100% sure how they behave when network locked.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Checking the Settings > General > About - “Network Provider Lock” value will tell you if the iPhone is network locked or not.

If the device isn’t network locked, it’ll say “No SIM restrictions”.

Userlevel 1

yup is says ‘no sim restrictions’

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I don’t think the carrier settings are preventing this iPhone from making and receiving calls.

I’d be inclined to try a network reset.

Userlevel 1

Ive done all that a few times.

Funny how a network provider provides a forum for customer support.  Total lack of accountability.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The latest iOS for iPhone 7 is 15.7.3, released towards end of Jan ‘23.

Is that iOS version running on your iPhone 7 @Mothflyer?

Do you have a non-iD SIM to try in your iPhone 7, and check if incoming & outgoing calling works?

Userlevel 1

yes correct version.  I’ve tried the sim in a much newer unlocked phone and calls fine.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay, the iD SIM works 100% in another handset but not the iPhone 7.
Have you got a non-iD SIM to try in your iPhone 7?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

If you’ve tried a network reset, a full factory reset and you’ve confirmed that the IMEI hasn’t been blacklisted but yet the problem still persists, then try inserting a working SIM from a different network into the iPhone 7. This should force a carrier setting to update, make a test call and confirm the phone works before re-inserting the iD Mobile sim. Maybe the change from one carrier setting to another restores the  phone's ability to make a call.

Userlevel 1

Didn't help sadly.

Just received a text message from iDmobile simply telling me how to make a network reset.  This is the total sum of their help. wtf

Userlevel 1

it seems 15.7.3 will not work with 5.0 and now I’m stuck

Why iD Mobile?