Changing Voicemail announcement from abroad

• 27 February 2024
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You might want to consider using a PIN with iD voicemail service, @RG58

Without a PIN, anybody who knows your mobile number can call +44 7782 333 123 from any phone, and access your voicemail(s).  

Userlevel 1

I will wait to use my wife’s mobile when she gets home (she is on Three) as if I dial that number from my phone, it just goes straight through to my voicemail.  If that works, I could always play a recording of my daughter’s message into the microphone in order to change the message.  It might work?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @RG58, sorry I can’t be certain - I’ve not tried changing my voicemail greeting while abroad.

If it’s not possible, then perhaps your daughter’s UK proxy could call +44 7782 333 123 instead. Assuming your daughter was happy to share her voicemail PIN and Australian mobile number.  

Userlevel 1

That is exactly what Customer Services says you cannot do!  They are saying you dial that number to access your voicemails but are saying you cannot change the greeting.  That is what I am trying to confirm.  However, perhaps it can be done via Skype?  I will have to set up a Skype account and try it myself.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @RG58, you wouldn’t need to link the mobile to the Skype account.

If the Skype account had credit, then just call iD voicemail on +44 7782 333 123.

If the voicemail PIN is setup, you can access voicemail, and should be able to record greetings etcetera.

Userlevel 1

Are you saying, set up a Skype account in the UK and link it to her ID Mobile number.  Then when she gets to Australia and buys a PAYG sim there, she could use the skype to access her ID Mobile voicemail in order to change the announcement to give out that new number?  What number would she have to call on Skype? How do you link Skype and a UK mobile? (sorry, haven’t used Skype in years). The accessing the voicemail is not the problem - it is being able to change the message on it whilst abroad.

Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Provided you’ve got a PIN for your iD Mobile voicemail, you should be able to access voicemail while roaming, but this would be an out-of-plan use while in Australia (i.e. expensive).

An option, while in Australia, which might be cheaper, would be add credit to a Skype account, link a mobile number to the Skype account, and use Skype to call the iD Mobile voicemail service instead.

Good luck, @RG58.

Why iD Mobile?