Question

Changing Voicemail announcement from abroad

• 27 February 2024
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 1

Our daughter will shortly be travelling abroad to Australia.  It will obviously be prohibitively expensive to keep using her ID Sim whilst there, so she intends to put the IDMobile sim in an old phone, only use it on WiFi to avoid roaming charges, and get a new Australian PAYG sim when she gets there to install in her other phone.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change her VM announcement FROM Australia, as she wants to inform anyone calling her ID Mobile in the UK, of her new Australian number?

Customer Services say that it isn’t, but I just wanted to check!

32 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps hard to know with any certainty, @RG58

@Bubblesthefish posted screen-shots of text messages (from iD Mobile) about calling voicemail from an untrusted network, even though @Bubblesthefish was using one of the iD Mobile French roaming partners, to check their voicemail.

Is there someone in Australia who can purchase your daughter’s Vodafone or Lebara local SIM before she travels, so she can setup the greeting while still in the UK?

There’s got to be a reason why iD Mobile advised it can’t be done? 

Userlevel 1

Good idea #andewhite, but I am afraid not.

Userlevel 2

No that is not the problem. She could set a custom greeting now in the UK but until she gets to Australia and buys a local sim, she does not know the number to put on the announcement. When she gets that number, we are trying to work out how to then change her announcement. 

Ahhh okay, 

As long as she definitely has a pin for the voicemail, just dial +44 7782 333123 and enter the pin, 

then follow the same steps as in the uk and it should work a breeze.

Would it be correct to assume this voicemail call would need to come an iD SIM card, while it was roaming in Australia, @Bubblesthefish

Would that be considered a trusted network connection? 

Three also operate in Australia, so a local Three SIM might be okay.

As I’ve just tested myself, the untrusted network connection text means absolutely nothing. Called my voicemail from the landline, entered my phone number and pin and still had the option to change the greeting.

the voicemail call can come from any phone all around the world, it is just connected like calling a UK Mobile. 

three Australia doesn’t exist anymore btw^

Userlevel 2

To try and summarize:

• Daughter going travelling to Australia for at least a few months, in 2 week’s time.
  • She is currently on an ID Mobile 30-day PAYG plan.  She will change that before she goes to the cheapest 30-day plan - basically just to keep her UK number alive for people trying to contact her.
  • She will ensure a VoiceMail PIN is set up before she goes.
  • When she arrives in Australia, she will buy a 30-day PAYG SIM with probably either Vodafone Australia or, as per @bubblethefish suggests, Labara Australia.
  • She will then want to change her greeting on ID Mobile voicemail to include the new Australian number.
  • ID Mobile Customer Services told me this morning that is not possible.
  • Posters on this question suggest that information is not correct and if she uses her new Australian number to dial +44 7782 333 123, she will get the same options as if she was in the UK dialling from another network.
  • The text messages she will get back saying she is dialling from an Untrusted Network are irrelevant and can be ignored.  Is that correct?  Will she still get all the normal options to change her greeting?  Does it matter what network or phone she uses to call her voicemail from Australia ie her current ID SIM which will cost her roaming fees or the new Vodafone/Labara Australian number that includes free international calls to the UK?

Yes, the untrusted network message can be ignored.

Just land, get the sim with uk inclusive minutes, call +44 7782 333123, enter phone number and PIN code and then change the recording. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you to everyone for all their help.  We will see what happens when she gets there.  I just cannot understand why the rep on WebChat this morning said it would not work.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thank you to everyone for all their help.  We will see what happens when she gets there.  I just cannot understand why the rep on WebChat this morning said it would not work.

I believe the voicemail system was upgraded within the last 6-9 months, and perhaps the CS advisers haven’t had training on the new system - maybe iD staff don’t get 40-hours training like their colleagues in sister company Currys?

Userlevel 2

I believe the voicemail system was upgraded within the last 6-9 months, and perhaps the CS advisers haven’t had training on the new system - maybe iD staff don’t get 40-hours training like their colleagues in sister company Currys?

Yes, Three UK have recently upgraded their CVS (Central Voicemail Service). 
it now features HD Voice clarity as a main staple, more message storage and a few newer options for voicemail greetings depending on how the call is declined (out of hours greetings for example).

Why iD Mobile?