Solved

Charged for Data on a day trip to France?

• 22 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I visited France for the day last Sunday and have been charged £4.99 for data? Been quite a few times on day trips to France and never been charged before, received a text from ID whilst on the ferry saying I can use my phone just like at home as roaming is included so don’t understand why I’ve been charged 😢

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 22 January 2023, 17:53

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Ferry networks are not included in Roaming.

Signage would have been on the Ferry indicating.

You can dispute with the Ferry company if you wish to obtain a refund but the usage would be valid as this is not inclusive EU roaming.

Roaming in France is included.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for this, much appreciated, still baffled though as travelled 4 times last year with same ferry and was never charged and no signage either 🙁

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thank you for this, much appreciated, still baffled though as travelled 4 times last year with same ferry and was never charged and no signage either 🙁

Hey @cymruk,

You should raise the no signange issue with them as they should be displaying this.

What I’d recommend is either

1. Setting your spend cap to £0.00 to prevent any out of plan spend from being incurred
  2. Turn OFF Automatic network selection so you can manually connect to the network when you reach France. This prevents the phone autoamtically connecting to a Ferry network
  3. Keep the phone in Airplane mode until you are clear from the ferry (but still need to be cautious of the above).

The best option is usually spend cap at £0.00 though as this just stops you even being able to incur the charge in the first place.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thank you Mohammed, most helpful. Still can’t get my head around using this same ferry a few months ago and last year a few times and used my phone on all those trips and never got charged, can’t understand what is different (I have never changed any settings in my phone either). Thank you though for taking the time to explain 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It’s possible that your phone just didn’t connect to the ferry at the time, but hopefully should be safer in the future without any worries.

Ferry networks, Cruise networks and any Sattlelite/GPS networks are usually chargeable.

No issues though Roaming in France as we currently provide this as inclusive 🙂

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi Mohammed, I went on the live chat yesterday and spoke to an agent who said that as I was in France and therefore I was on the Data 3 package so charged for data, I searched the ID website and there is no Data 3 package only 1 and 2  and France is in 1, I hear what your saying but still don’t think it’s right I have been charged. My partner got the same message on his phone, was charged also and today was refunded as confirmed it was incorrectly charged! I know it’s only £4.99 but I know I shouldn’t have been charged as used the ferry before, many times and never ever been charged, it just doesn’t seem right. 

Userlevel 1

Refund now issued 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @cymruk,

France is definitely inclusive so would not have been charged.

Data 3 is usually written on the account as Roam Band 3 if I recall.

This one is for sattelite and ferry networks.

I can check and review the masts as we can see which masts the usage was recorded against.

More than likely it will be down to that and I’m guessing the agent didn’t know how to check that’s all.

That said, it’s been refunded either way so enjoy the credit! 

I would still set the cap to £0.00 as this will prevent it in the future but I’m glad it’s been sorted 😀

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?