Question

complaint about a debt collection referral

• 18 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I took out 2 sim only contracts with idmobile. As the service with this outfit was so bad, I cancelled both contracts within the cooling off period. One contract was for my husband and one was for me.

To be clear, we took out the contracts at the same time and cancelled the contracts at the same time. I state this, as I have been fined £77.14 for not cancelling my contract within the cooling off period, but my husband has not!

I contacted ID mobile via web chat to explain the issue, and they eventually stated that they would get back to me. However they didnt and sent the debt directly to a debt collection agency!

How can idmobile charge me for this and not my husband? It makes no sense.

I can say for sure, I will not be paying this bill and will take it to court if needed. I am sickened by idmobile and it atrocious customer service.

I want this £77.14 cancelled immediately with a reference so that I can take it back to the debt collection agency.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @be96erj 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Similar thing has happened to me. Contract bought through Mobiles UK and cancelled within 2 weeks because of very poor customer service, faulty sim and sudden inability to call key numbers despite being sent a new sim. I ported the number to a new provider but received a bill for nearly a £1000 (essentially the whole contract). Managed to avoid that charge but despite bringing this up with customer services a month ago, 17 days and multiple messages later I am still waiting for a response to my PM having provided the required information and my case being ‘escalated’.

Debt of a significantly lower amount has been turned over to a debt agency, despite my numerous attempts to contact them, them already having the first months payment in advance and me having cancelled during the cooling off period, as well as Mobiles UK informing them of the contract being cancelled.

They have a live chat which often does not show up on the page or first makes you chat to a bot, no way of being reached by phone (unless you leave a voicemail and hope that someone will call you back) and the chat itself becomes unavailable nearly half an hour before the official closing time. Sensationally bad company and wish I’d never come across them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Edith Etuwewe 

Unfortunately we aren’t a live chat service on the community and it may take us some time to get to our community messages, we will get in contact there as soon as we can.

A charge such as this would incur should the user cancel their contract (possibly via PAC code to another network) before it’s been returned officially on our side. We’d always recommend contacting to return and allowing the return to complete before using a PAC code.

Tom

Good thing that I never asserted that the community WAS a chat service (these are the types of issues I’m referring to). Nowhere in this answer is the fact that the charge was referred to a debt collection agency addressed despite multiple attempts to contact customer service beforehand nor is the fact that this seems to be the usual practice of ID mobile, as evidenced by the multiple threads on this exact issue. This is extremely poor and predatory behaviour.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Edith Etuwewe 

The part of my message about Community PMs not being a live chat was in response to your message containing “17 days and multiple messages later I am still waiting for a response to my PM”, this is simply to let you know that we won’t always be able to reply quickly there, not that you insinuated that we’re a live chat service here, we’re aware you didn’t say that.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?