Solved

Credit Checking Flawed

• 18 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello ID Community,

I'm wondering if anyone can explain some detail behind how the following has unfolded:

1) Ordered £16/unlimited SIM as existing customer deal. 12 months contract.

1a) Cancelled: "bad credit"

2) Ordered £8 smaller deal. 1 month contract.

Just to highlight: this is a total commitment of £8. 

2a) Cancelled: "bad credit"

3) Found out ID uses Equifax. Spoke to Equifax. Not only is my credit score very good, but also the specific details that ID likes to check all have no negative issues. They're all fine. 

I'm going to Currys this afternoon to have some discussion about this. ID has put me in a position where my current EE contract has nearly expired, but I have nothing to replace it with. 

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by andewhite 18 April 2024, 16:28

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @DOooOB, I think the credit check (with Equifax) is only an element in the process that iD Mobile use, and doesn’t necessarily determine whether an application is accepted or declined. 

No business is likely to tell you how they assess new customer applications, probably to prevent fraudulent applications.

Surely your EE contract does not expire unless until cancel the contract? 

What’s iD offering that other service providers don’t?

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. That's a very good question now - what's ID offering that others don't? Is it worth the cheapness given this issue?

To answer your other question: I gave a month's notice to EE to switch providers, so my service stops on the 21st. On April 2 I took out a small ID contract for a family member. My intention was to add my own SIM only contract with ID last week.

Anyway, I just now went to Currys, they tried to order for me, but the system gave a flat 'no'. Not even 'this smaller contract would be ok'. 

Having an Experian rating of 999/999 and an Equifax rating of 'very good', I didn't for a minute think that ID would think me some kind of risk. Especially for the £8 single month order 😂😂

Equifax advised that ID Mobile checks 4 elements of my credit report, and also advised I had only good stuff on those sections.

They then advised that the only credit search ID has performed was on April 2nd. So whatever their reason for refusing me, seems likely an internal policy thing.

Which leaves me in a place where they've advertised services to me through their app which they apparently have no intention of providing. If I can be bothered, and I may be, I'll register this with ASA and whatever trade body I have the patience to look into.

I'm not a full-blown capitalist, but I am left with misgivings about entrusting my essential communication to a company that doesn't know a good prospective customer when they see one. 😂

So yes, what's the real value offering here? Is it worth it? For me, the answers are currently 'nothing' and 'no'. 

Userlevel 1

Oh, quick update: Email from ID 'You left something in your basket'. Yes, I did indeed. And as far as I can tell it's staying there!! 😂😂😂

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks for posting @DOooOB - I’m just a forum member here, like yourself.

At the current point-in-time, another service provider could be a better option, given the ongoing issues with the new iD app and new “My iD Account” online services.

My experience with iD Mobile has been things are great value for money when everything works, but often incredibly frustrating when something needs fixing.

IMO most of iD Mobile’s resources seem focused on selling 24-month handset contracts - others stuff plays second-fiddle.

Userlevel 1

Hi again

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah I totally understand most people here are just customers. I might submit a piece for The Guardian's Consumer Champions as they're pretty good at helping people out. Just for fun really. I'm more amused than frustrated about this 😂

Ah right, if they'd advertised me a nice Samsung and I'd gone for that, I'd be on a winner then. Thing is, I'll probably be in the market for a high end handset in due course. So ID Mobile could've snagged me here and got me all fuzzy about their awesome no-frills service that Which recommended. But there you are. Good companies don't normally stay good for ever. 

I'll see if I can get on a plan somewhere else. Better steer clear of cowboys promising more than they're capable of delivering 😉.

Thanks again 👍

​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @DOooOB,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear that your order didn’t process.

Unfortunately we can’t provide specific reasons for credit checks failing as it can be down to multiple factors.

However you can try again in 90 days as it would be great to have you as a customer.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?