Solved

data roaming in switzerland

• 8 November 2023
  • 3 replies

I understand that data roaming in Switzerland is not included in my plan and I will be charged extra for this. This is fine I will only need access to the internet for 5 mins so I check into my flight when I am in Zurich. 

I have roaming turned on in my package. I will select the roaming option on my mobile and I have a data cap of £20. Will this mean I will be able to access the internet when I am in Switzerland?

do I need to specially connect to any network? Normally when roaming abroad I will turn my mobile data on and roaming on and that gives me access to the internet.

ta.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 9 November 2023, 10:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes it should @Zazalajanaka

However, I’d suggest using a free local Wi-Fi network for your travel arrangements while in Switzerland.

£20 buys ~13MB of roaming mobile data - your iD plan probably has a data allowance of several gigabytes (GB) @Zazalajanaka.  

If you’ve got a dual SIM handset, with eSIM support maybe think about using a data only eSIM for roaming outside the EU - e.g. Airalo, BreatheSIM, GoMoWorld, etcetera. 

iD roaming charges for Switzerland are:

All, I've just found the same thing. If landing in Zurich or Geneva, use the free airport WiFi and search on Google for a swiss e-sim. First check that your phone accepts E-SIMs (most semi modern ones do). E-SIMs allow you to connect to local data networks without having a physical SIM. You can purchase an E-SIM for unlimited internet via sunrise or many other providers online for around £20 or less for a week, depending on your stay. It's A LOT cheaper than using ID charges. 

Once purchased, go to phone settings > network > SIM and activate using either the QR code or manually entering the code on the email on the purchased e-sim email. 

Hope it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Zazalajanaka,

Welcome to the Community!

I hope that @andewhite has answered your query.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?